lost+found recovery - Unix

This is a discussion on lost+found recovery - Unix ; Hello After a crash that required fsck to be run on the root device [/dev/md/rdsk/d10] I have a directory in the lost+found that appears to be the '/' directory. Can I fix this short of getting the backup tapes out? ...

  1. lost+found recovery

    Hello

    After a crash that required fsck to be run on the root device
    [/dev/md/rdsk/d10] I have a directory in the lost+found that appears to
    be the '/' directory.

    Can I fix this short of getting the backup tapes out?

    solaris 8 fully patched

  2. Re: lost+found recovery

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:37:24 -0400, Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:48:14 -0400, whoha
    > wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> After a crash that required fsck to be run on the root device
    >> [/dev/md/rdsk/d10] I have a directory in the lost+found that appears to
    >> be the '/' directory.
    >>
    >> Can I fix this short of getting the backup tapes out?
    >>

    > That depends. If the files and directories within that directory
    > still have their original names, you can mv them back where they belong.
    > If they don't, restoring or reinstalling might be the only way.
    > Do you know what caused the crash? Was it bad software, or a power
    > failure, or is the hard drive dying?

    Been a long time since I looked, but I never remember seeing named
    files in a lost and found directory, just numbered files. ?

  3. Re: lost+found recovery

    In article <3c7qjeF6jhd8vU1@individual.net>,
    Dave Hinz wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:37:24 -0400, Bill Marcum
    > wrote:
    > > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:48:14 -0400, whoha
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hello
    > >>
    > >> After a crash that required fsck to be run on the root device
    > >> [/dev/md/rdsk/d10] I have a directory in the lost+found that appears to
    > >> be the '/' directory.
    > >>
    > >> Can I fix this short of getting the backup tapes out?
    > >>

    > > That depends. If the files and directories within that directory
    > > still have their original names, you can mv them back where they belong.
    > > If they don't, restoring or reinstalling might be the only way.
    > > Do you know what caused the crash? Was it bad software, or a power
    > > failure, or is the hard drive dying?

    > Been a long time since I looked, but I never remember seeing named
    > files in a lost and found directory, just numbered files. ?

    If a directory ends up in there, it will have a numeric name, but its
    contents should still be the original names, just as the contents of an
    ordinary file that ends up in there should be the old contents.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  4. Re: lost+found recovery

    Dave Hinz wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:37:24 -0400, Bill Marcum wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:48:14 -0400, whoha
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello
    >>>
    >>> After a crash that required fsck to be run on the root device
    >>>[/dev/md/rdsk/d10] I have a directory in the lost+found that appears to
    >>>be the '/' directory.
    >>>
    >>> Can I fix this short of getting the backup tapes out?
    >>>

    >>That depends. If the files and directories within that directory
    >>still have their original names, you can mv them back where they belong.
    >>If they don't, restoring or reinstalling might be the only way.
    >>Do you know what caused the crash? Was it bad software, or a power
    >>failure, or is the hard drive dying?

    > Been a long time since I looked, but I never remember seeing named
    > files in a lost and found directory, just numbered files. ?

    Yes the file are like #340678 I cd to this dir do a pwd and it's '/'.
    I then do an ls and there you are in root.

    Installing a patch caused the problem. On reboot I started getting
    jnic1 errors that hung the reboot. Had to do a stop-a to get it back
    then do a reset-all reboot from the ok prompt. Needed fsck ... rest is
    not good.

  5. Re: lost+found recovery

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:09:31 -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article <3c7qjeF6jhd8vU1@individual.net>,
    > Dave Hinz wrote:
    >
    >> Been a long time since I looked, but I never remember seeing named
    >> files in a lost and found directory, just numbered files. ?

    > If a directory ends up in there, it will have a numeric name, but its
    > contents should still be the original names, just as the contents of an
    > ordinary file that ends up in there should be the old contents.

    Cool. I did not know that. I guess I've just been lucky enough not to
    _need_ to know that...

    Dave "RAID is a wonderful thing..." Hinz

  6. Re: lost+found recovery

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:46:23 -0400, whoha
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Yes the file are like #340678 I cd to this dir do a pwd and it's '/'.
    >>I then do an ls and there you are in root.
    >>

    > You still have a root directory, otherwise where would /lost+found be?
    > Do /bin, /usr, /etc and other directories still exist? I'm just
    > wondering, could that file in lost+found be a symbolic link?

    When you do a ls -l it does not list it as an link. And yes the system
    is still running more or less OK.

+ Reply to Thread