About scanning IPs - Unix

This is a discussion on About scanning IPs - Unix ; Hi! I'm learning english. My writing is not the best yet. I have a win2000/NT/98 PCs network with a Linux PC as a gateway. The IPs are in the classic 192.168.X.X form. The Linux have a DHCP service too. Are ...

  1. About scanning IPs

    Hi!

    I'm learning english. My writing is not the best yet.

    I have a win2000/NT/98 PCs network with a Linux PC as a gateway. The IPs
    are in the classic 192.168.X.X form. The Linux have a DHCP service too.

    Are there a way to scanning the used/unused IPs in the net from the Linux
    PC? I think there would be a unix command or procedure but I can't get it
    in the man library.

    Thanks in advance.

    Leonardo A. Espinoza Lagos ------> mailto:lespinoz@dcc.uchile.cl
    Escuela de Ingenieria - Facultad de Ciencias Fisicas y Matematicas
    Universidad de Chile ---- CHILE

  2. Re: About scanning IPs

    Leonardo Agustin Espinoza Lagos wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm learning english. My writing is not the best yet.
    >
    > I have a win2000/NT/98 PCs network with a Linux PC as a gateway. The

    IPs
    > are in the classic 192.168.X.X form. The Linux have a DHCP service

    too.

    > Are there a way to scanning the used/unused IPs in the net from the

    Linux
    > PC? I think there would be a unix command or procedure but I can't

    get it
    > in the man library.

    try nmap.
    http://www.insecure.org/nmap/
    Be careful that you don't scan another IP range that you don't 'own'.

  3. Re: About scanning IPs

    Leonardo Agustin Espinoza Lagos wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm learning english. My writing is not the best yet.
    >
    > I have a win2000/NT/98 PCs network with a Linux PC as a gateway. The IPs
    > are in the classic 192.168.X.X form. The Linux have a DHCP service too.
    >
    > Are there a way to scanning the used/unused IPs in the net from the
    > Linux PC? I think there would be a unix command or procedure but I can't
    > get it in the man library.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    > Leonardo A. Espinoza Lagos ------> mailto:lespinoz@dcc.uchile.cl
    > Escuela de Ingenieria - Facultad de Ciencias Fisicas y Matematicas
    > Universidad de Chile ---- CHILE

    Have a look at arpwatch, unlike nmap it just runs continuously in the
    background and (if I remember correctly) can email you whenever a new IP
    address appears or when an IP-address is reused by a different PC.

    Obviously, nmap will miss PCs that are currently turned off. Whether
    this matters depends on what you want to achieve.

    There will also be a log file of addresses handed out by the DHCP service.

+ Reply to Thread