SCO5.0.5 & adaptec - Unix

This is a discussion on SCO5.0.5 & adaptec - Unix ; can I add an adaptec SCSI controller card to a running SCO 5.0.5 ide system after its loaded? Have always had one installed before loading so not sure Thanks, Kurt...

  1. SCO5.0.5 & adaptec

    can I add an adaptec SCSI controller card to a running
    SCO 5.0.5 ide system after its loaded? Have always had one installed before
    Thanks,
    Kurt

  2. Re: SCO5.0.5 & adaptec

    mds wrote:

    > can I add an adaptec SCSI controller card to a running
    > SCO 5.0.5 ide system after its loaded? Have always had one installed before
    > Thanks,
    > Kurt

    Make and test emergency boot diskettes then do two verified full backups
    (using Edge (www.microlite.com) or Lone-Tar (www.lone-tar) ), then use
    this 'hidden' option while logged in as root:

    mkdev .scsi

    (note the period preceding the scsi)

    Be real sure of the answers you give the utility - you can really muck
    up the OS with wrong answers.

    I assume you want to add a SCSI tape drive? Then do mkdev tape after
    rebooting from the mkdev .scsi.

    If you are adding a SCSI disk, then there are other
    problems/considerations to deal with.

    The main one being it's a PITA to boot from a SCSI disk in a system with
    any IDE drives, unless your BIOS specifically supports selecting SCSI as
    the primary boot device.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com