[?] +- Swap - Unix

This is a discussion on [?] +- Swap - Unix ; Is swap really needed on a system with a minimum of 512mb of ram? Also is this a myth; by doing away with the swap partition you can prevent an attack/intruder from being able to hide root programs in the ...

  1. [?] +- Swap

    Is swap really needed on a system with a minimum of 512mb of ram?

    Also is this a myth; by doing away with the swap partition you can
    prevent an attack/intruder from being able to hide root programs in the
    systems memory.

  2. Re: [?] +- Swap

    In article <1111877102.511193.22070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.c om>,
    "nonick" wrote:

    > Is swap really needed on a system with a minimum of 512mb of ram?

    If the stack and data space of all the concurrent programs (including
    the kernel) is >512MB, you need swap.

    > Also is this a myth; by doing away with the swap partition you can
    > prevent an attack/intruder from being able to hide root programs in the
    > systems memory.

    Sounds like a myth to me. System memory will be in memory.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA