Long HP-UX 11 Start-up process - Unix

This is a discussion on Long HP-UX 11 Start-up process - Unix ; Hello, when starting up HP-UX 11 the whole process takes no less than 35 minutes before getting to login! It would go fast but there are four processes that take almost 10 minutes each before getting [OK] or [N/A] status. ...

  1. Long HP-UX 11 Start-up process

    Hello,

    when starting up HP-UX 11 the whole process takes no less than 35 minutes
    before getting to login! It would go fast but there are four processes
    that take almost 10 minutes each before getting [OK] or [N/A] status. I
    need the workstation just for using C compiler and asci parallel printer
    as a single root user and have no need for network. Those Start-up lines
    are:

    Starting mail deamon....[busy/wait]

    ..then after about 3 minutes that line turns into:

    unable to qualify my owbusy/waitmain name -- using short name

    Than after more than 5 minutes it finally turns to [OK] and Start-up
    process goes on. Then it stops again at:

    Start SNMP HP-UX Network Management subAgent..[busy/wait]

    That again takes more than 5 minutes before status turns to [OK]. Then
    again stops at:

    Reinitialize Software Distributer agent deamon...[busy/wait]

    Then after more than 5 minutes turns to [OK] and later stops again at:

    Start X print server(s)....[busy/wait]

    And then after a long wait finally I get to login:root. The workstation
    was probably pulled from working envinroment and network before I got it.
    Is there any way that I could somehow skip those four long-waiting lines
    at startup (maby if there is some key to press for that?), even if I get
    [Failed] instead of [OK] or [N/A]? Is there anything else that could be
    done to avoid waiting for those four lines to pass? Again, I need the
    workstation just as a single user with asci parallel printer connected
    directly to it and with no Internet or local network connection.

    Thank you for your answers

  2. Re: Long HP-UX 11 Start-up process

    "gophy" said:
    >when starting up HP-UX 11 the whole process takes no less than 35 minutes
    >before getting to login! It would go fast but there are four processes
    >that take almost 10 minutes each before getting [OK] or [N/A] status. I
    >need the workstation just for using C compiler and asci parallel printer
    >as a single root user and have no need for network. Those Start-up lines
    >are:

    All the lines you listed indicate problems with the DNS name service.
    Correct that, and you're fine. See /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf
    to correct the problem. If you're not connected to a network providing
    DNS name service, try putting sensible configuration into your /etc/hosts
    file (though sendmail has a tendency to ignore /etc/hosts -- but then,
    for that use you might disable sendmail startup -- see files in
    /etc/rc.config.d; there should be one that lets you disable sendmail).
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland