Re: Firewall/NAT question - Unix

This is a discussion on Re: Firewall/NAT question - Unix ; > I am trying to do something, but I have no idea how to do it. My > program (written in C) needs to send one file to multiple servers. The > easy/inefficient way to do this is to open ...

  1. Re: Firewall/NAT question

    > I am trying to do something, but I have no idea how to do it. My
    > program (written in C) needs to send one file to multiple servers. The
    > easy/inefficient way to do this is to open up multiple sockets and then
    > send the file to the first server, and then send the file to the
    > second.

    > I was wondering if there if there was a faster way of doing this

    Some UNIX systems support a socket interface to IP multicast. If your
    application doesn't require complete reliability of transmission then
    a group address for multicasts might be a good mechanism to use.

    DaveN.

  2. Re: Firewall/NAT question

    Just wanted to thank you for the suggestion. Decided to use internal
    multicasting to achieve this. Im just going to add my own code for
    reliablity.

    --Thanks

    David Nixon wrote:
    > > I am trying to do something, but I have no idea how to do it. My
    > > program (written in C) needs to send one file to multiple servers.

    The
    > > easy/inefficient way to do this is to open up multiple sockets and

    then
    > > send the file to the first server, and then send the file to the
    > > second.

    > > I was wondering if there if there was a faster way of doing this

    > Some UNIX systems support a socket interface to IP multicast. If

    your
    > application doesn't require complete reliability of transmission then

    > a group address for multicasts might be a good mechanism to use.
    >
    > DaveN.

+ Reply to Thread