Subject: UNIGROUP 17-MAR-2005: Solaris 10 Followup - Repeat Field Trip to Sun

UNIGROUP OF NEW YORK - UNIX USERS GROUP - MARCH 2005 MEETING

1. UNIGROUP'S MARCH 2005 GENERAL MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT

When: THURSDAY, March 17th, 2005 (3rd Thursday)

Where: <<<< FIELD TRIP LOCATION >>>>
Sun Microsystems
101 Park Avenue, 4th Floor (at 40th Street)
Midtown, New York City
** RSVP Will Be Required for Entry! **

Time: 6:15 PM - 6:25 PM Registration
6:25 PM - 6:45 PM Ask the Wizard, Questions,
Answers and Current Events
6:45 PM - 7:00 PM Unigroup Business and Announcements
7:00 PM - 9:30 PM Main Presentation

Topic: Solaris 10 Post-Launch Followup Event:
OpenSolaris, Solaris Management Facility,
Solaris Security, Solaris ZFS (new filesystem),
and other topics as time permits.

Speaker: Ambreesh Khanna,
Datacenter & Edge Technologies Lead for NY/NJ,
Sun Microsystems

INTRODUCTIONS:
--------------

This is a followup meeting to our Solaris 10 Launch Event that
occurred some months ago. Now that Solaris 10 has been officially
released, there are various new topics and new operating system
components that Sun can more easily talk about (previously they
could only discuss them under non-disclosure). There is a lot
to cover, and we expect a great meeting with a large turnout.

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:

Please continue to check the Unigroup web site and meeting page,
for any last minute updates concerning this meeting. If you
registered for this meeting, please check your email for any
last minute announcements as the meeting approaches.

Please RSVP by Wednesday, 16-MAR-2005, so we can have the proper
amount of food and Solaris 10 CD-ROMs available.
Please register as soon as possible.

Outline of the Main Presentation:
---------------------------------

Solaris 10 is the latest UNIX OS from Sun Microsystems. It is being
billed as the Next Generation Datacenter OS, and is unique due to the
number of key technologies that have sedimented into it.

Some items to be covered at this meeting:
- OpenSolaris and Solaris Licensing
- Solaris 10 Management Facility
- Solaris 10 Security
- Solaris 10 ZFS (new filesystem)
- More on Solaris 10 Hardware Platforms
- More on Solaris vs Linux/BSD/Other Unix
- And if time permits: Solaris Networking, and some other topics.

We learned at the last meeting that Sun is very capable of spending
a full day talking on each Solaris topic listed above. They will
be trying to provide us as much information as possible, in the
short time that we have to work with. Expect a long meeting,
packed with technical details and examples of implementation.

Web Resources:
--------------

Sun Solaris 10
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/10

Sun BigAdmin Portal
http://www.bigadmin.com

Sun Microsystems
http://www.sun.com

Speaker Biography:
------------------

Ambreesh Khanna has been at Sun for 7 years, and is currently the
Datacenter and Edge Technologies Lead for NY/NJ.

Company Biography:
------------------

See http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/index.html for company information
about Sun Microsystems.

Giveaways:
----------

To be determined.

We expect to have copies of Solaris 10 CD-ROMS for x86 and Sparc
available.

Fee Schedule:
Yearly Membership (includes all meetings): $ 50.00
Non-Member Single Meeting: $ 20.00
Student Yearly Membership: $ 20.00
Non-Member Student Single Meeting (with ID): $ 5.00
Payment Methods: Cash, Check, American Express.

Complimentary Food and Refreshments will be served.

Sun will be providing us with the food service for this meeting.
Thanks Sun!

While we don't know the details, the last time Sun surprised
us with a major spread of sandwiches, salads, drinks and
desserts!

Directions:

** FIELD TRIP LOCATION **
Sun Microsystems
101 Park Avenue, 4th Floor (at 40th Street)
Midtown, New York City

The office of Sun Microsystems is 1-2 blocks South of Grand Central
Station. Enter the building at the corner of Park Avenue and 40th
Street.

-----

Please mark this meeting on your calendar and join us!
Please tell your friends about Unigroup!

-----------------
2. UPCOMING MEETINGS
-----------------

We have a series of meetings in the works:

- 17-MAR-2005 : Solaris 10 Post-Release Followup Event
Field Trip to Sun Microsystems

- 21-APR-2005 : AFS and OpenAFS
Jeff Altman / Secure Endpoints

- IPsec
- Samba
- Field Trip to CA - Invited
- Field Trip to HP - Invited
- Unix 35th Birthday Celebration
- DNS
- Unix Clusters and Clustered Databases
- Linux Clustering Part 3: Beowulf version 2
- Building a Firewall using FreeBSD and Linux
- High Performance Internet Servers / Web Acceleration
- Unix Office Tools: Word Processors, Spreadsheets, Accounting Packages.
- PKI
- GNU Development Environments
- iSCSI, Serial ATA, and other new peripheral technologies

Please let us know about any other meeting topics that you may be
interested in. Potential speakers on Unix related technology topics
should contact the Unigroup board at uni-0503@unigroup.org.

--------------
3. PRIOR MEETINGS
--------------

Jan 2005: Wireless Access Around NYC and Introduction to WiFi

Unigroup would like to thank Ben Serebin of NYCwireless.org
for presenting a background on
Wireless 802.11 connectivity, covering hardware and software
aspects on both the client and server side of the access point,
WiFi antennas and their applications, and explaining where and
how WiFi can be found, and used, around NYC. Ben also spoke
about the activities of the NYCwireless Users Group.

Unigroup would also like to thank Dan Wexler of Genesis
Information Security (and the Unigroup Board), for presenting
an introduction to various aspects of Wireless security.

Feb 2005: ZOPE - An Open Source Web Development Framework

Unigroup would like to thank Rob Page, from Zope Corporation,
for presenting Zope, an open source framework for web development.
Various aspects of web application development and specific
features of Zope were discussed and demonstrated, and
specific applications that lend themselves particularly well
to the Zope environment were discussed. Rob had flown
in specially for our meeting, and we appreciate Zope Corp's
support.

-----------
4. TRADE SHOWS
-----------

a) 2005 Business Continuity & Corporate Security Show & Conference
(Flagg Management)

Location: Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 West 18th Street at 7th Ave, NYC.
When: March 22-23, 2005 (Tue-Wed)

For information and online registration visit:
http://www.flaggmgmt.com/bc

b) 2005 Linux on Wall Street 3rd Annual Show & Conference
(Flagg Management)

Location: Roosevelt Hotel, Madison Avenue and 45th Street.
When: April 20, 2005

For information and online registration visit:
http://www.linuxonwallstreet.com

c) SIA Technology Management Conference

Location: The Hilton New York

For information visit:
http://www.sia.com/tmc2005/

EXHIBIT HALL SCHEDULE:
Tue, June 21 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Wed, June 22 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu, June 23 9:00 am - 12:00 pm

For FREE Online Exhibit Hall Registration Please Visit:
http://www.sia.com/conf_vendors/exReg_Email.html

----------------------
5. NEW USER GROUP FORMING
----------------------

Bill Zack of the NYeWin group is forming a new Software Architects
Group in NYC, that he hopes will be affiliated with the IASA -
International Association of Software Architects.

For information about the IASA visit:
http://www.iasarchitects.org

This group is forming as a vendor-neutral and system-neutral group,
and they are looking for members from the all of the *NIX Unix/Linux/BSD,
as well as the Windows, and other communities.

More information will follow in our next announcement.
(I believe their meetings will be on the last Tuesday, but the day,
a meeting location, and contact information, needs to be clarified.)

Keep an eye out for more information if you are interested.

--------------------
6. UNIGROUP INFORMATION
--------------------

Unigroup is one of the oldest and largest Unix User's Groups serving
the Greater New York City Regional Area since the early 1980s. Unigroup
is a not-for-profit, vendor-neutral and member funded volunteer
organization. Unigroup holds regular and special event meetings
throughout the year on technical topics relating to Unix and the Unix
User Community. Unigroup is also the Greater NYC Regional Area Affiliate
of UniForum - an International Unix Users Group.

Unigroup holds regular meetings planned for (at a minimum) the Third
THURSDAY of Odd Months. We generally try to hold Field Trip or
Vendor Specific Meetings on the Even Months, although we do have
the ability to hold monthly meetings at our new downtown meeting location.
Recently, we have been holding meetings on a more monthly basis.

Planned meeting dates are: 3/17/2005, 4/21/2005, 5/19/2005, ...
Watch for our Special Event meetings at the various trade shows in NYC
as well as "Field Trips" to the facilities of local hardware and
software vendors.

= For Unigroup Information, Events and Meeting Announcements be sure to =
= visit our World Wide Web Home Page: =
= http://www.unigroup.org =

For further information or to get on the Unigroup Electronic Mail Mailing
List send an EMail message to:
uni-0503@unigroup.org

To contact the Board of Directors of Unigroup, send an EMail message to:
uni-0503@unigroup.org

If you have recently attended a meeting and you are not receiving
Email announcements, please send us an Email and we will make
corrections to our lists.

Please Email the Board with any suggestions, especially potential
meeting topics and speakers. Unigroup welcomes contributions and
content suggestions for our newsletter. Unigroup is a volunteer
organization and we need your assistance! Please let us know if you
can help!

I hope to see you all at our next meeting!

-Rob Weiner
Unigroup Executive Director
uni-0503@unigroup.org
http://www.unigroup.org

This message and its attachments may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are prohibited
from printing, forwarding, saving or copying this email. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender and
delete this e-mail and its attachments from your computer.