How to restrict web user from tranversing to different directories in Solaris 2.8 FTP server - Unix

This is a discussion on How to restrict web user from tranversing to different directories in Solaris 2.8 FTP server - Unix ; Hello, Our Sun Enterprise server runs Solaris 2.8 and Oracle Portal. Our user picks up the output dat file from our ftp server via URL on browser, e.g., ftp://xxx.yyy.zzz/file.dat We are using generic default ftp on our server. We want ...

  1. How to restrict web user from tranversing to different directories in Solaris 2.8 FTP server

    Hello,

    Our Sun Enterprise server runs Solaris 2.8 and Oracle Portal. Our
    user picks up the output dat file from our
    ftp server via URL on browser, e.g., ftp://xxx.yyy.zzz/file.dat We are
    using generic default ftp on our server. We want to find
    ways to restrict ftp web users from traversing to other directories to
    see files in our systems by clicking on ".." or "."
    Basically, we do not want them to see any other files/directories
    except the one that appear in the URL.

    Looking forward to your help.

    Thanks,

    Humphrey

  2. Re: How to restrict web user from tranversing to different directories in Solaris 2.8 FTP server

    In article <1110847980.458190.34720@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    "Humphrey Channey" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Our Sun Enterprise server runs Solaris 2.8 and Oracle Portal. Our
    > user picks up the output dat file from our
    > ftp server via URL on browser, e.g., ftp://xxx.yyy.zzz/file.dat We are
    > using generic default ftp on our server. We want to find
    > ways to restrict ftp web users from traversing to other directories to
    > see files in our systems by clicking on ".." or "."
    > Basically, we do not want them to see any other files/directories
    > except the one that appear in the URL.
    >
    > Looking forward to your help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Humphrey

    You can't restrict "real" users (users who have an account on the
    system) from logging into SUN's ftp server. You can only do this with
    the anonymous user. If you've setup that account per the man page
    instructions, that should limit a client from looking around beyond the
    "chroot"-ed directory tree of the anonymous ftp account.

    If you want to implement this for "guest" users (another class of user
    that SUN's in.ftpd doesn't support), you'll have to install one of the
    3rd party ftp servers and configure it accordingly.