What OS's are running on my LAN? - Unix

This is a discussion on What OS's are running on my LAN? - Unix ; I run a LAN of approx 15 connected devices in a share house. Wifi security is not an issue, but I am having issues with abuse of download usage. Everyone says they're not downloading crap, but it doesn't explain why ...

  1. What OS's are running on my LAN?

    I run a LAN of approx 15 connected devices in a share house. Wifi security is not an issue, but I am having issues with abuse of download usage. Everyone says they're not downloading crap, but it doesn't explain why when certain people are home our usage spikes through the roof and then they magically have a bunch of pre-release movies playing on their computers.

    While I'm planning on setting up a better router in the future (ie one that can actually monitor usage and limit bandwidth proportionally), for now I'm looking for the quick-fix . What I intend to do is selectively limit access by MAC address.

    When checking DHCP leases on the modem/router I noticed several clients were connected but no hostname was being resolved (can only see MAC address and Assigned IP).

    What I'd like to do is query these devices, to see if I can find out what OS they're running, and work back from there.

    Is there a command that's similar to 'uname' but... where I can specify the IP that's being assigned by DHCP?

    The details I get don't have to be over-the-top, just enough to be able to identify whether it's a computer, iphone, xbox, wii, etc.

    Any other suggestions are most welcome.

  2. Re: What OS's are running on my LAN?

    I have already two systems and both have the Unix OS but I have a problem that it didn't reply on the LAN and we have lot of work to done, please give any suggestion to resolve this problem.

  3. Re: What OS's are running on my LAN?

    Same problem here and this issue dose not resolved please give us handsome suggestion about them because i have lot of things which are I want to download on my each system but the download problem stops me to do this job. thanks

+ Reply to Thread