Run a Process in 'Hidden' Session - Unix

This is a discussion on Run a Process in 'Hidden' Session - Unix ; Hello, I need to run a deamon/listener (below is an example) process in a 'hidden' session. I don't want to kill the process when closing the session. #!/bin/ksh for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

  1. Run a Process in 'Hidden' Session

    Hello,

    I need to run a deamon/listener (below is an example) process in a
    'hidden' session. I don't want to kill the process when closing the
    session.

    #!/bin/ksh
    for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    do
    echo $i

    sleep 20
    done

    How can I do it?

    thanks in advance!
    Shulamit

  2. Re: Run a Process in 'Hidden' Session

    I guess you want to start 'screen'.
    Detach from the 'screen' by Ctrl-A-D.
    You can now safely disconnect from that machine
    and come back later on with 'screen -r'.

    --
    Frank

    shulamitm wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need to run a deamon/listener (below is an example) process in a
    > 'hidden' session. I don't want to kill the process when closing the
    > session.
    >
    > #!/bin/ksh
    > for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    > do
    > echo $i
    >
    > sleep 20
    > done
    >
    > How can I do it?
    >
    > thanks in advance!
    > Shulamit

  3. Re: Run a Process in 'Hidden' Session

    shulamitm writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I need to run a deamon/listener (below is an example) process in a
    > 'hidden' session. I don't want to kill the process when closing the
    > session.
    >
    > How can I do it?

    man nohup

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  4. Re: Run a Process in 'Hidden' Session

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 01:28:17 -0800 (PST), shulamitm
    wrote:

    >I need to run a deamon/listener (below is an example) process in a
    >'hidden' session. I don't want to kill the process when closing the
    >session. How can I do it?

    screen, nohup, or my favorite:

    dh, the daemon helper

    ftp://ftp.isp2dial.com/users/jak/src/dh/

    --
    Webmail for Dialup Users
    http://www.isp2dial.com/freeaccounts.html

+ Reply to Thread