How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10 -Beginner Question - Unix

This is a discussion on How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10 -Beginner Question - Unix ; Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8. We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know how to ...

  1. How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10 -Beginner Question

    Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    how to achieve this ?

    Thanks, Bill

    $ ps -ef | grep senamil

    root 1161 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:44 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    bd -q15m
    smmsp 1162 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:04 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    Ac -q15m

  2. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10 - Beginner Question

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com writes:
    >Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    >We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    >but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    >how to achieve this ?

    Okay, so you can't run any sendmail daemon? Or just not have one
    listening on port 25? Is this a concern about bugs that sendmail fixed
    over a decade ago, or to minimize any setup what-so-ever? I guess I
    would advocate to still run the queue scanner sendmail daemon, and use
    sendmail, but just not have it listen to port 25 externally.

    Ie. sendmail to send outgoing email depends on one of those daemons
    running, no matter if it is listening to port 25 or not. If you can't
    have *that* daemon run, then you can't use sendmail for outgoing
    email, which is the default installed MTA. Simple as that.

    There are other solutions, but you will then need to add on software
    to do the same thing as sendmail, or rewrite your apps depending on
    what they need. There are simple outbound SMTP packages written for
    various programming languages. You could change your code to use those
    for outbound email.

    Postfix probably wouldn't be a solution, because you need to run its
    queue runner daemon as well. There are other MTAs, which may not need
    a queue runner daemon, but they are pretty few.

    So, what are the main concerns with having the sendmail daemons running?

  3. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10 - Beginner Question

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com writes:
    >Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    >We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    >but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    >how to achieve this ?

    Okay, so you can't run any sendmail daemon? Or just not have one
    listening on port 25? Is this a concern about bugs that sendmail fixed
    over a decade ago, or to minimize any setup what-so-ever? I guess I
    would advocate to still run the queue scanner sendmail daemon, and use
    sendmail, but just not have it listen to port 25 externally.

    Ie. sendmail to send outgoing email depends on one of those daemons
    running, no matter if it is listening to port 25 or not. If you can't
    have *that* daemon run, then you can't use sendmail for outgoing
    email, which is the default installed MTA. Simple as that.

    There are other solutions, but you will then need to add on software
    to do the same thing as sendmail, or rewrite your apps depending on
    what they need. There are simple outbound SMTP packages written for
    various programming languages. You could change your code to use those
    for outbound email.

    Postfix probably wouldn't be a solution, because you need to run its
    queue runner daemon as well. There are other MTAs, which may not need
    a queue runner daemon, but they are pretty few.

    So, what are the main concerns with having the sendmail daemons running?

  4. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10 - Beginner Question

    In comp.unix.solaris Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com writes:
    >>Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    >>We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    >>but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    >>how to achieve this ?

    > Okay, so you can't run any sendmail daemon? Or just not have one
    > listening on port 25? Is this a concern about bugs that sendmail fixed
    > over a decade ago, or to minimize any setup what-so-ever? I guess I
    > would advocate to still run the queue scanner sendmail daemon, and use
    > sendmail, but just not have it listen to port 25 externally.
    >
    > Ie. sendmail to send outgoing email depends on one of those daemons
    > running, no matter if it is listening to port 25 or not. If you can't
    > have *that* daemon run, then you can't use sendmail for outgoing
    > email, which is the default installed MTA. Simple as that.
    >
    > There are other solutions, but you will then need to add on software
    > to do the same thing as sendmail, or rewrite your apps depending on
    > what they need. There are simple outbound SMTP packages written for
    > various programming languages. You could change your code to use those
    > for outbound email.
    >
    > Postfix probably wouldn't be a solution, because you need to run its
    > queue runner daemon as well. There are other MTAs, which may not need
    > a queue runner daemon, but they are pretty few.

    Postfix is a great replacment for junk like sendmail.

    stopping and uninstalling all sendmail packages is one of the first things
    I do on a solaris machine.

  5. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10 - Beginner Question

    In comp.unix.solaris Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com writes:
    >>Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    >>We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    >>but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    >>how to achieve this ?

    > Okay, so you can't run any sendmail daemon? Or just not have one
    > listening on port 25? Is this a concern about bugs that sendmail fixed
    > over a decade ago, or to minimize any setup what-so-ever? I guess I
    > would advocate to still run the queue scanner sendmail daemon, and use
    > sendmail, but just not have it listen to port 25 externally.
    >
    > Ie. sendmail to send outgoing email depends on one of those daemons
    > running, no matter if it is listening to port 25 or not. If you can't
    > have *that* daemon run, then you can't use sendmail for outgoing
    > email, which is the default installed MTA. Simple as that.
    >
    > There are other solutions, but you will then need to add on software
    > to do the same thing as sendmail, or rewrite your apps depending on
    > what they need. There are simple outbound SMTP packages written for
    > various programming languages. You could change your code to use those
    > for outbound email.
    >
    > Postfix probably wouldn't be a solution, because you need to run its
    > queue runner daemon as well. There are other MTAs, which may not need
    > a queue runner daemon, but they are pretty few.

    Postfix is a great replacment for junk like sendmail.

    stopping and uninstalling all sendmail packages is one of the first things
    I do on a solaris machine.

  6. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10- Beginner Question

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    > We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    > but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    > how to achieve this ?
    >
    > Thanks, Bill
    >

    > $ ps -ef | grep senamil
    >
    > root 1161 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:44 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    > bd -q15m
    > smmsp 1162 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:04 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    > Ac -q15m

    This appears to be a contradiction in terms. You have to send mail?
    AND you have to shut down sendmail?

    Exactly what problem are you trying to solve here? Are you looking for
    a replacement for sendmail?

  7. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10- Beginner Question

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    > We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    > but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    > how to achieve this ?
    >
    > Thanks, Bill
    >

    > $ ps -ef | grep senamil
    >
    > root 1161 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:44 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    > bd -q15m
    > smmsp 1162 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:04 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    > Ac -q15m

    This appears to be a contradiction in terms. You have to send mail?
    AND you have to shut down sendmail?

    Exactly what problem are you trying to solve here? Are you looking for
    a replacement for sendmail?

  8. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10 - Beginner Question

    On 2008-10-31 19:10:59 +0000, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    said:

    > underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    >> We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    >> but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    >> how to achieve this ?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Bill
    >>

    >> $ ps -ef | grep senamil
    >>
    >> root 1161 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:44 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    >> bd -q15m
    >> smmsp 1162 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:04 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    >> Ac -q15m

    > This appears to be a contradiction in terms. You have to send mail?
    > AND you have to shut down sendmail?

    You don't need to run any bits of sendmail (daemon or otherwise) to
    send (space) mail, as long as your MTA's somewhere else.

    Anyway, the OP needs to find the sendmail services and disable them.
    Something like this, though I'm away from a Solaris box to verify:

    svcs -a | grep smtp
    svcadm disable

    > Exactly what problem are you trying to solve here? Are you looking for
    > a replacement for sendmail?

    That is always worthwhile :-)
    --
    Chris

  9. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10 - Beginner Question

    On 2008-10-31 19:10:59 +0000, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    said:

    > underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    >> We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    >> but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    >> how to achieve this ?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Bill
    >>

    >> $ ps -ef | grep senamil
    >>
    >> root 1161 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:44 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    >> bd -q15m
    >> smmsp 1162 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:04 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    >> Ac -q15m

    > This appears to be a contradiction in terms. You have to send mail?
    > AND you have to shut down sendmail?

    You don't need to run any bits of sendmail (daemon or otherwise) to
    send (space) mail, as long as your MTA's somewhere else.

    Anyway, the OP needs to find the sendmail services and disable them.
    Something like this, though I'm away from a Solaris box to verify:

    svcs -a | grep smtp
    svcadm disable

    > Exactly what problem are you trying to solve here? Are you looking for
    > a replacement for sendmail?

    That is always worthwhile :-)
    --
    Chris

  10. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10- Beginner Question

    Chris Ridd wrote:
    > On 2008-10-31 19:10:59 +0000, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > said:
    >
    >> underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    >>> We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    >>> but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    >>> how to achieve this ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Bill
    >>>

    >>> $ ps -ef | grep senamil
    >>>
    >>> root 1161 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:44 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    >>> bd -q15m
    >>> smmsp 1162 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:04 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    >>> Ac -q15m

    >> This appears to be a contradiction in terms. You have to send mail?
    >> AND you have to shut down sendmail?

    > You don't need to run any bits of sendmail (daemon or otherwise) to send
    > (space) mail, as long as your MTA's somewhere else.
    >
    > Anyway, the OP needs to find the sendmail services and disable them.
    > Something like this, though I'm away from a Solaris box to verify:
    >
    > svcs -a | grep smtp
    > svcadm disable
    >
    >> Exactly what problem are you trying to solve here? Are you looking
    >> for a replacement for sendmail?

    > That is always worthwhile :-)

    Let's not be too hard on sendmail. Sure it's a kludge. But look at the
    time period it came from. I'm old enough to remember it. I can
    remember "bang" style addressing (rgilbert!comcast!net or something like
    that. It was as much a "return path" as it was an address. There were
    not yet any real standards for mail or much of anything else.

    Sendmail understood most of the "proto-protocols" and frequently managed
    to get the mail delivered somehow or other. It still does.

    I use my Windoze system and Thunderbird to send and receive mail so all
    this is pretty much "academic" from my point of view.

  11. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10- Beginner Question

    Chris Ridd wrote:
    > On 2008-10-31 19:10:59 +0000, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > said:
    >
    >> underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    >>> We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    >>> but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    >>> how to achieve this ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Bill
    >>>

    >>> $ ps -ef | grep senamil
    >>>
    >>> root 1161 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:44 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    >>> bd -q15m
    >>> smmsp 1162 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:04 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    >>> Ac -q15m

    >> This appears to be a contradiction in terms. You have to send mail?
    >> AND you have to shut down sendmail?

    > You don't need to run any bits of sendmail (daemon or otherwise) to send
    > (space) mail, as long as your MTA's somewhere else.
    >
    > Anyway, the OP needs to find the sendmail services and disable them.
    > Something like this, though I'm away from a Solaris box to verify:
    >
    > svcs -a | grep smtp
    > svcadm disable
    >
    >> Exactly what problem are you trying to solve here? Are you looking
    >> for a replacement for sendmail?

    > That is always worthwhile :-)

    Let's not be too hard on sendmail. Sure it's a kludge. But look at the
    time period it came from. I'm old enough to remember it. I can
    remember "bang" style addressing (rgilbert!comcast!net or something like
    that. It was as much a "return path" as it was an address. There were
    not yet any real standards for mail or much of anything else.

    Sendmail understood most of the "proto-protocols" and frequently managed
    to get the mail delivered somehow or other. It still does.

    I use my Windoze system and Thunderbird to send and receive mail so all
    this is pretty much "academic" from my point of view.

  12. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10- Beginner Question

    On 10/31/08 14:07, underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8.
    > We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below
    > but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know
    > how to achieve this ?

    You need to build a new sendmail.cf from the
    /etc/mail/cf/cf/subsidiary.mc template which incorporates this line:

    DAEMON_OPTIONS(`NAME=NoMTA4, Family=inet, Addr=127.0.0.1')dnl
    DAEMON_OPTIONS(`NAME=NoMTA6, Family=inet6, Addr=::1')dnl <- IPv6 ONLY

    Note: This line must be inserted AFTER the DOMAIN(`solaris-generic')dnl
    line! Use of the "Family=inet6" line on systems without IPv6 running
    will cause the sendmail function to fail.
    ------
    This was new with Solaris 9 (12/03 release it looks like). Some further
    info here:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...iblfpeq?a=view

    Solaris 9 12/03 About What's New Collection >> What's New in the Solaris
    9 12/03 Operating Environment >> 2. Features in the Solaris 9 Release
    ------
    and here, for info on building a new .cf file:

    Solaris 9 9/04 System Administrator Collection >> System Administration
    Guide: Resource Management and Network Services >> Part V Mail Services
    Topics >> 22. Mail Services (Tasks)

    (Note that the name and location of the .mc templates files has shifted
    a bit since this was introduced)
    ------
    AND for your specific question:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...he95f69?a=view

    Solaris 9 9/04 System Administrator Collection >> System Administration
    Guide: Resource Management and Network Services >> Part V Mail Services
    Topics >> 22. Mail Services (Tasks) >> Managing Mail Delivery by
    Using an Alternate Configuration (Task)

    "Managing Mail Delivery by Using an Alternate Configuration (Task)

    To facilitate the transport of inbound mail and outbound mail, the new
    default configuration of sendmail uses a daemon and a client queue
    runner. If you have disabled your daemon, you should perform the
    following task. For a detailed explanation, refer to New Configuration
    File, submit.cf."

    HTH!

    > Thanks, Bill
    >

    > $ ps -ef | grep senamil
    >
    > root 1161 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:44 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    > bd -q15m
    > smmsp 1162 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:04 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    > Ac -q15m

  13. Re: How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10- Beginner Question

+ Reply to Thread