long file names - Unix

This is a discussion on long file names - Unix ; I have problems with backup media that runs short names . What the most best solution of backup that when I restore files from it I can see my long names files again and it can be restored with no ...

  1. long file names

    I have problems with backup media that runs short names . What the
    most best solution of backup that when I restore files from it I can
    see my long names files again and it can be restored with no dos
    format ? What I mean I would not need to run dos2unix command ?

  2. Re: long file names

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article ,
    > happytoday writes:
    >> I have problems with backup media that runs short names . What the
    >> most best solution of backup that when I restore files from it I can
    >> see my long names files again and it can be restored with no dos
    >> format ? What I mean I would not need to run dos2unix command ?

    > You'll have to explain what backup procedure you're using.
    > Sounds like something which creates DOS 8.3 filenames.
    > What is it you're backing up too?

    I'm sure this bloke is a troll. No normal person can keep asking such
    daft questions for so long.

    --
    Ian Collins

  3. Re: long file names

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:10:56 +1300, Ian Collins wrote:

    > I'm sure this bloke is a troll. No normal person can keep asking such
    > daft questions for so long.

    Not a troll, just incredibly dumb and unwilling or unable to learn.

    this person how to compile cdrtools.

  4. Re: long file names

    happytoday wrote:

    > I have problems with backup media that runs short names .

    What?

    > What the
    > most best solution of backup that when I restore files from it I can
    > see my long names files again and it can be restored with no dos
    > format ?

    Put a tar on your backup media.

    > What I mean I would not need to run dos2unix command ?

    dos2unix is for changing contents.

    Michael

  5. Re: long file names

    happytoday wrote:

    > I have problems with backup media that runs short names .

    You have a physical tape or disk that does not accept
    long filenames? I don't believe you.

    > What the most best solution of backup

    A backup tool. It does not appear that what you are using
    counts as a backup tool. The right tool for the job, not the
    first tool that comes to mind.

+ Reply to Thread