kazlib lost? - Unix

This is a discussion on kazlib lost? - Unix ; For years I've used the 'kazlib' library, which is very nice open-source collection of hash, tree, and list data types. And for all that time I've used its online documentation as bookmarked at http://users.footprints.net/~kaz/kazlib.html . Unfortunately, as of the last ...

  1. kazlib lost?

    For years I've used the 'kazlib' library, which is very nice open-source
    collection of hash, tree, and list data types. And for all that time
    I've used its online documentation as bookmarked at
    http://users.footprints.net/~kaz/kazlib.html. Unfortunately, as of the
    last few months that entire domain seems to be dead, and kazlib hasn't
    moved anywhere else.

    So, shame on me for never grabbing a copy of the HTML documentation but
    now I'm desperately trying to find it. It's not in the source tarball,
    which is still available from a number of mirror sites. Does anyone know
    an alternate place to get the HTML documentation?

    What *is* in the tarball is a file called docs.ltx, which is presumably
    a LaTex format. Is there such a thing as a browser plugin for .ltx
    formats. I don't just want to print the docs.ltx but would be very happy
    with any tool which allowed it to be browsed.

    Thanks,
    AS

  2. Re: kazlib lost?

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:26:40 -0400, Arch Stanton wrote:

    > For years I've used the 'kazlib' library, which is very nice open-source
    > collection of hash, tree, and list data types. And for all that time
    > I've used its online documentation as bookmarked at
    > http://users.footprints.net/~kaz/kazlib.html. Unfortunately, as of the
    > last few months that entire domain seems to be dead, and kazlib hasn't
    > moved anywhere else.

    You could ask the author of kazlib. Kaz Kylheku is involved in active
    threads on a few programming groups. He has a gmail address. Type his
    name in google, and I bet you can find him.

    stonerfish

  3. Re: kazlib lost?

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:26:40 -0400, Arch Stanton wrote:
    >
    >> For years I've used the 'kazlib' library, which is very nice open-source
    >> collection of hash, tree, and list data types. And for all that time
    >> I've used its online documentation as bookmarked at
    >> http://users.footprints.net/~kaz/kazlib.html. Unfortunately, as of the
    >> last few months that entire domain seems to be dead, and kazlib hasn't
    >> moved anywhere else.
    >>

    > You could ask the author of kazlib. Kaz Kylheku is involved in active
    > threads on a few programming groups. He has a gmail address. Type his
    > name in google, and I bet you can find him.

    Good idea, thanks.

  4. Re: kazlib lost?

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Arch Stanton writes:
    >> For years I've used the 'kazlib' library, which is very nice open-source
    >> collection of hash, tree, and list data types. And for all that time
    >> I've used its online documentation as bookmarked at
    >> http://users.footprints.net/~kaz/kazlib.html. Unfortunately, as of the
    >> last few months that entire domain seems to be dead, and kazlib hasn't
    >> moved anywhere else.

    > There's a 6 month old copy on the WayBackMachine...
    > http://web.archive.org/web/200802130...az/kazlib.html

    Ah, yes, thanks. But if I could follow up on this part (slightly off
    topic): is there a way to save this tree of HTML files as a coherent
    suite? I don't want to make the same mistake of relying on the WayBack
    Machine indefinitely, so I've been trying to save it. I tried "wget -r
    -k -p [url]" but that doesn't work because wget "respects the Robots
    Exclusion Standard" which apparently means recursive traversal is
    suppressed when it sees a "robots.txt" file. Since I don't think that
    preserving a small, valuable, and otherwise-lost doc set is evil, I
    hacked wget to *not* respect the exclusion standard and tried again,
    this time getting a larger but still incomplete set of pages. Does
    anyone know how to grab the set of doc files under the URL above (just a
    few hundred files I imagine)? I would happily put them on my website for
    general consumption.

    Thanks,
    AS

  5. Re: kazlib lost?

    Arch Stanton wrote:
    > Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Arch Stanton writes:
    >>> For years I've used the 'kazlib' library, which is very nice open-source
    >>> collection of hash, tree, and list data types. And for all that time
    >>> I've used its online documentation as bookmarked at
    >>> http://users.footprints.net/~kaz/kazlib.html. Unfortunately, as of the
    >>> last few months that entire domain seems to be dead, and kazlib hasn't
    >>> moved anywhere else.

    >> There's a 6 month old copy on the WayBackMachine...
    >> http://web.archive.org/web/200802130...az/kazlib.html
    >>

    > Ah, yes, thanks. But if I could follow up on this part (slightly off
    > topic): is there a way to save this tree of HTML files as a coherent
    > suite? I don't want to make the same mistake of relying on the WayBack
    > Machine indefinitely, so I've been trying to save it. I tried "wget -r
    > -k -p [url]" but that doesn't work because wget "respects the Robots
    > Exclusion Standard" which apparently means recursive traversal is
    > suppressed when it sees a "robots.txt" file. Since I don't think that
    > preserving a small, valuable, and otherwise-lost doc set is evil, I
    > hacked wget to *not* respect the exclusion standard and tried again,
    > this time getting a larger but still incomplete set of pages. Does
    > anyone know how to grab the set of doc files under the URL above (just a
    > few hundred files I imagine)? I would happily put them on my website for
    > general consumption.

    Ah, well, good news and bad news. Bad news: the terms of use
    (http://www.archive.org/about/terms.php) specifically disallow copying
    out for some reason or other. Good news: they do not prohibit direct,
    long-term use (which I thought they did). In other words users are
    allowed/encouraged to bookmark and use a URL into the Wayback Machine. I
    still worry that it might go away someday but this does seem like a
    viable solution for the foreseeable future.

    Thanks,
    AS

  6. Re: kazlib lost?

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:48:34 -0400, Arch Stanton wrote:

    > Ah, well, good news and bad news. Bad news: the terms of use
    > (http://www.archive.org/about/terms.php) specifically disallow copying
    > out for some reason or other.

    I forbid anyone to read this sentence.

    It doesn't necessarily mean that there is any legal or moral reason that
    you can't or shouldn't though.

  7. Re: kazlib lost?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:05:22 +0000, viza wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:48:34 -0400, Arch Stanton wrote:
    >
    >> Ah, well, good news and bad news. Bad news: the terms of use
    >> (http://www.archive.org/about/terms.php) specifically disallow copying
    >> out for some reason or other.

    > I forbid anyone to read this sentence.
    >
    > It doesn't necessarily mean that there is any legal or moral reason that
    > you can't or shouldn't though.

    Exactly. Did archive.org get permission to copy all the stuff they have
    on their site?

+ Reply to Thread