Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool? - Unix

This is a discussion on Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool? - Unix ; Any idea what to change in this Windows dd freeware backup of an SD card? c:\freeware\> dd if=\\.\f of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img Here is the procedure I followed so that others can benefit when they accidentally format a full HDSD 4GB Nikon camera ...

  1. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    Any idea what to change in this Windows dd freeware backup of an SD card?
    c:\freeware\> dd if=\\.\f of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img

    Here is the procedure I followed so that others can benefit when they
    accidentally format a full HDSD 4GB Nikon camera flash card.

    0. Download Dd copy and convert freeware for Windows at
    http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

    1. Place Dd in your Windows path or in your apppaths registry key:
    c:\freeware\> path
    c:\freeware\> regedit
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
    Dd.exe = c:\freeware\filespec\Dd\dd.exe

    2. Test your dd syntax:
    c:\freeware\> dd -help
    rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
    Written by John Newbigin
    This program is covered by the GPL.
    dd [bs=SIZE] [count=BLOCKS] [if=FILE] [of=FILE] [seek=BLOCKS] [skip=BLOCKS]
    [--size] [--list] [--progress]
    SIZE and BLOCKS may have one of the following suffix:
    k = 1024
    M = 1048576
    G = 1073741824
    default block size (bs) is 512 bytes
    skip specifies the starting offset of the input file (if)
    seek specifies the starting offset of the output file (of)

    3. Plug in the accidentally formatted HDSD flash card to the PC.
    WARNING: Not all flash card adapters handle the high density 4GB SD flash
    cards!

    4. List all drives hooked up to your Windows freeware PC:
    c:\freeware\> dd --list > foo.txt
    Look for the keywords "removeable media"
    \\.\Volume{6371aa1a-1763-11db-5582-f0a1c172badf}\
    link to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume1
    fixed media
    Mounted on \\.\c:
    \\.\Volume{4688f2aa-4195-11dc-d4a5-0016b6f93e11}\
    link to \\?\Device\Harddisk1\DP(1)0-0+e
    removeable media
    Mounted on \\.\f:

    5. Dump the HD SD flash card JPG images to your hard disk:
    c:\freeware\> dd if=\\.\f of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img

    But, I get the error:
    rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
    Written by John Newbigin
    This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details
    Error opening input file: 2 The system cannot find the file specified

    Any idea what to change in this Windows dd freeware backup of an SD card?
    c:\freeware\> dd if=\\.\f of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img

  2. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:25:57 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:

    > Any idea what to change in this Windows dd freeware backup of an SD card?
    > c:\freeware\> dd if=\\.\f of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img

    I figured out the syntax to recover the entire contents of an accidentally
    formatted 4GB HD SD camera flash memory card using Windows dd freeware
    (http://www.chrysocome.net/dd).

    1. Locate the desired removable media
    c:\> dd --list
    \\.\Volume{4688f2aa-4195-11dc-d4a5-0016b6f93e11}\
    link to \\?\Device\Harddisk1\DP(1)0-0+e
    removeable media
    Mounted on \\.\f:
    2. Copy the formatted flash drive's previous content to your PC hard disk:
    c:\> dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img

    It's currently working now so I'll let you know if I've been able to
    recover all the previous contents of the camera flash memory card, even
    content long ago deleted.

    Donna

  3. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:30:17 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    > It's currently working now so I'll let you know if I've been able to
    > recover all the previous contents of the camera flash memory card, even
    > content long ago deleted.

    Hmmm.... Now that I've got the 1,983,620 KB flash card image on my hard
    drive, how do we access the resulting file on Windows?

    C:\tmp>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img --progress
    rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
    Written by John Newbigin
    This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details
    2,031,226,368
    3967239+0 records in
    3967239+0 records out

  4. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:28:54 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    > C:\tmp>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img --progress

    Well I'll be. I don't know how or why it worked, but all I did was taken
    another flash card and reverse the Windows Dd freeware command above.

    That second flash card worked just fine with all the pictures intact. I
    can't believe it worked but all is well now.

    What I still don't know how to do is how to mount the first
    c:\flashcard.img bit-for-bit copy of the flash card as a disk.

    Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

  5. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

    Ever end a post without a ??????
    --
    Anyone who says i suck Eastern Indian dick has never met my Irish lover
    Kevin O'Neill. YUMMIE!

  6. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On Mon 27 Oct08 05:46, Fred Sanders wrote in
    :

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

    > Ever end a post without a ??????

    Donna needs to keep asking questions. That's part of her game.

    --

    xpost to 4

  7. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:28:54 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    >> C:\tmp>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img --progress

    > Well I'll be. I don't know how or why it worked, but all I did was taken
    > another flash card and reverse the Windows Dd freeware command above.
    >
    > That second flash card worked just fine with all the pictures intact. I
    > can't believe it worked but all is well now.
    >
    > What I still don't know how to do is how to mount the first
    > c:\flashcard.img bit-for-bit copy of the flash card as a disk.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

    I don't know how in MS, in Linux you do a simple mount command using the
    loopback facility.

  8. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On 27 Oct 2008 15:24:53 GMT, ray wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:28:54 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    >>> C:\tmp>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img --progress

    >> Well I'll be. I don't know how or why it worked, but all I did was taken
    >> another flash card and reverse the Windows Dd freeware command above.
    >>
    >> That second flash card worked just fine with all the pictures intact. I
    >> can't believe it worked but all is well now.
    >>
    >> What I still don't know how to do is how to mount the first
    >> c:\flashcard.img bit-for-bit copy of the flash card as a disk.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

    > I don't know how in MS, in Linux you do a simple mount command using the
    > loopback facility.

    Look, a fish!

  9. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    Donavan Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond wrote:
    > On 27 Oct 2008 15:24:53 GMT, ray wrote:

    >>> Well I'll be. I don't know how or why it worked, but all I did was taken
    >>> another flash card and reverse the Windows Dd freeware command above.
    >>>
    >>> That second flash card worked just fine with all the pictures intact. I
    >>> can't believe it worked but all is well now.
    >>>
    >>> What I still don't know how to do is how to mount the first
    >>> c:\flashcard.img bit-for-bit copy of the flash card as a disk.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

    >> I don't know how in MS, in Linux you do a simple mount command using the
    >> loopback facility.

    > Look, a fish!

    Look! A followup!

  10. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:28:54 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    >> C:\tmp>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img --progress

    > Well I'll be. I don't know how or why it worked, but all I did was taken
    > another flash card and reverse the Windows Dd freeware command above.
    >
    > That second flash card worked just fine with all the pictures intact. I
    > can't believe it worked but all is well now.
    >
    > What I still don't know how to do is how to mount the first
    > c:\flashcard.img bit-for-bit copy of the flash card as a disk.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

    Start up linux in a virtual machine, open a terminal and do
    mount disk.img mntpoint -o loop

    Or you could do it the windows way. Type "mount disk image in windows"
    in google, read the results, and pick a commercial or freeware utility.
    Install it, and point and click your way to loopback bliss.

    stonefish

  11. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On Mon 27 Oct08 16:12, Donavan Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond
    wrote in
    :

    > On 27 Oct 2008 15:24:53 GMT, ray wrote:

    >>> Well I'll be. I don't know how or why it worked, but all I did was
    >>> taken another flash card and reverse the Windows Dd freeware
    >>> command above.
    >>>
    >>> That second flash card worked just fine with all the pictures
    >>> intact. I can't believe it worked but all is well now.
    >>>
    >>> What I still don't know how to do is how to mount the first
    >>> c:\flashcard.img bit-for-bit copy of the flash card as a disk.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

    >> I don't know how in MS, in Linux you do a simple mount command
    >> using the loopback facility.

    > Look, a fish!

    Hook, line and a sucker is born every minute.

    Donna know how to reel them in!

  12. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:28:54 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    >>> C:\tmp>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img --progress

    >> Well I'll be. I don't know how or why it worked, but all I did was taken
    >> another flash card and reverse the Windows Dd freeware command above.
    >>
    >> That second flash card worked just fine with all the pictures intact. I
    >> can't believe it worked but all is well now.
    >>
    >> What I still don't know how to do is how to mount the first
    >> c:\flashcard.img bit-for-bit copy of the flash card as a disk.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

    > Start up linux in a virtual machine, open a terminal and do
    > mount disk.img mntpoint -o loop
    >
    > Or you could do it the windows way. Type "mount disk image in windows"
    > in google, read the results, and pick a commercial or freeware utility.
    > Install it, and point and click your way to loopback bliss.

    Good.

  13. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:46:08 -0400, Fred Sanders wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    >> Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

    > Ever end a post without a question mark?

    Hi Fred,

    There are two ways to help answer your question.

    One is to look at my posts where I answer people's questions; those do not
    end with a question mark.

    The other is to look at my posts where I ask a question (generally one
    never answered before); not surprisingly, those end with a question mark.

    Hope this helps answer your question!

    Donna

  14. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On 27 Oct 2008 23:15:43 GMT, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > do it the windows way. Type "mount disk image in windows"
    > in google, read the results, and pick a commercial or freeware utility.
    > Install it, and point and click your way to loopback bliss.

    Hi Stonefish,

    Thanks for your advice. I had tried that before I posted (I try not to ask
    a question without first seeing if the answer already exists in the google
    record).

    I ran that search before (and again just now). Nowhere do I find the steps
    for Windows to mount a Dd copy of a formatted SD flash card. Almost all, if
    not all, the results from the suggested google are for mounting ISO images
    on Windows.

    Are you saying that Dd creates an ISO image when running the command?
    C:\>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img

    Can you point me to any record out there that shows how to mount this Dd
    image of a flash drive?

  15. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:16:30 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:46:08 -0400, Fred Sanders wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

    >> Ever end a post without a question mark?

    > Hi Fred,
    >
    > There are two ways to help answer your question.
    >
    > One is to look at my posts where I answer people's questions; those do not
    > end with a question mark. Those men I fellate.
    >
    > The other is to look at my posts where I ask a question (generally one
    > never answered before); not surprisingly, those end with a question mark.
    > Those idiots I troll.
    > Hope this helps answer your question!
    >
    > Donna Oh How I Love Oral Sex

    my kinda babe

  16. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    Donna Ohl wrote:
    > On 27 Oct 2008 23:15:43 GMT, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >
    >> do it the windows way. Type "mount disk image in windows"
    >> in google, read the results, and pick a commercial or freeware
    >> utility. Install it, and point and click your way to loopback
    >> bliss.

    > Hi Stonefish,
    >
    > Thanks for your advice. I had tried that before I posted (I try not
    > to ask a question without first seeing if the answer already exists
    > in the google record).
    >
    > I ran that search before (and again just now). Nowhere do I find the
    > steps for Windows to mount a Dd copy of a formatted SD flash card.
    > Almost all, if not all, the results from the suggested google are
    > for
    > mounting ISO images on Windows.
    >
    > Are you saying that Dd creates an ISO image when running the
    > command?
    > C:\>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img
    >
    > Can you point me to any record out there that shows how to mount
    > this
    > Dd image of a flash drive?

    For free you can get Virtual Disk Driver
    http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vdk.html.
    For 300 bucks you can get Mount Image Pro http://www.mountimage.com/.
    If those don't work or you're a glutton for punishment you can set up
    a virtual Linux machine under Virtual PC or vmWare Server, mount the
    image there, and access it via SAMBA.

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

  17. Re: Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

    Donna Ohl wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:46:08 -0400, Fred Sanders wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

    >> Ever end a post without a question mark?

    > Hi Fred,
    >
    > There are two ways to help answer your question.
    >
    > One is to look at my posts where I answer people's questions; those do not
    > end with a question mark.
    >
    > The other is to look at my posts where I ask a question (generally one
    > never answered before); not surprisingly, those end with a question mark.
    >
    > Hope this helps answer your question!
    >
    > Donna

    That's clear enough.

+ Reply to Thread