vi in ubuntu and backtrack 3.0 - Unix

This is a discussion on vi in ubuntu and backtrack 3.0 - Unix ; I recently shifted to ubuntu from backtrack 3.0 and i found vi editor is useless in ubuntu. Can anyone one tell me how to transfer all the features of vi editor in backtrack to ubuntu (by transferring the configuration file) ...

  1. vi in ubuntu and backtrack 3.0

    I recently shifted to ubuntu from backtrack 3.0 and i found vi editor
    is useless in ubuntu.

    Can anyone one tell me how to transfer all the features of vi editor
    in backtrack to ubuntu (by transferring the configuration file) ????

  2. Re: vi in ubuntu and backtrack 3.0

    asit writes:

    > I recently shifted to ubuntu from backtrack 3.0 and i found vi editor
    > is useless in ubuntu.
    >
    > Can anyone one tell me how to transfer all the features of vi editor
    > in backtrack to ubuntu (by transferring the configuration file) ????

    I seems to remember that Ubuntu default to nvi as vi clone. If I'm right,
    installing vim would probably be the first step to get the behaviour you
    are used to.

    Yours,

    --
    Jean-Marc

  3. Re: vi in ubuntu and backtrack 3.0

    Jean-Marc Bourguet writes:
    > asit writes:
    >> I recently shifted to ubuntu from backtrack 3.0 and i found vi editor
    >> is useless in ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Can anyone one tell me how to transfer all the features of vi editor
    >> in backtrack to ubuntu (by transferring the configuration file) ????

    > I seems to remember that Ubuntu default to nvi as vi clone.

    At least 6.06 doesn't. I (fondly) remember manually kicking vim off the two
    Ubuntu machines I had to deal with so far.

  4. Re: vi in ubuntu and backtrack 3.0

    Jean-Marc Bourguet wrote:
    > asit writes:
    >
    >> I recently shifted to ubuntu from backtrack 3.0 and i found vi editor
    >> is useless in ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Can anyone one tell me how to transfer all the features of vi editor
    >> in backtrack to ubuntu (by transferring the configuration file) ????

    > I seems to remember that Ubuntu default to nvi as vi clone. If I'm right,
    > installing vim would probably be the first step to get the behaviour you
    > are used to.
    >
    > Yours,

    No, it installs vim-tiny by default. If you install vim-gnome, you
    should get all your features.

    Robert

  5. Re: vi in ubuntu and backtrack 3.0

    asit wrote:
    > I recently shifted to ubuntu from backtrack 3.0 and i found vi editor
    > is useless in ubuntu.
    >
    > Can anyone one tell me how to transfer all the features of vi editor
    > in backtrack to ubuntu (by transferring the configuration file) ????

    type in ubuntu:

    sudo apt-get install vim

+ Reply to Thread