Forcing Solaris 10 IPMP traffic on one NIC only - Unix

This is a discussion on Forcing Solaris 10 IPMP traffic on one NIC only - Unix ; To whom it may concern, We are running IPMP at our Solaris 10 server. The primary address is 172.28.134.149 and 2 payload addresses are 172.28.134.142 and 172.28.134.143. We notice that our traffic from an appication to another server is going ...

  1. Forcing Solaris 10 IPMP traffic on one NIC only

    To whom it may concern,

    We are running IPMP at our Solaris 10 server. The primary address is
    172.28.134.149 and
    2 payload addresses are 172.28.134.142 and 172.28.134.143. We notice
    that our traffic from an appication to another server is going thru
    the payload address172.28.134.142 and not the primary address.

    Is there any way for an application to be "forced" to use the primary
    address 172.28.134.149
    exclusively and not thru other 2 non-primary NICs ?

    Thanks, Bill

    > ifconfig -a

    fjgi0: flags=1000843 mtu 1500
    index 2
    inet 172.28.134.142 .....
    fjgi0:1: flags=1000843 mtu 1500
    index 2
    inet 172.28.134.149 ....
    fjgi1: flags=1000843 mtu 1500
    index 3
    inet 172.28.134.143 ....

    > traceroute 172.29.130.21

    traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found; using 172.28.134.142@
    fjgi0
    traceroute to 172.29.130.21 (172.29.130.21), 30 hops max, 40 byte
    packets
    :
    :
    :

  2. Re: Forcing Solaris 10 IPMP traffic on one NIC only

    On Oct 17, 1:32*pm, underh20.scubadiv...@gmail.com wrote:
    > To whom it may concern,
    >
    > We are running IPMP at our Solaris 10 server. *The primary address is
    > 172.28.134.149 and
    > 2 payload addresses are 172.28.134.142 and 172.28.134.143. *We notice
    > that our traffic from an appication to another server is going thru
    > the payload address172.28.134.142 and not the primary address.
    >
    > Is there any way for an application to be "forced" to use the primary
    > address 172.28.134.149
    > exclusively and not thru other 2 non-primary NICs ?
    >
    > Thanks, *Bill
    >
    > > ifconfig -a

    > fjgi0: flags=1000843 mtu 1500
    > index 2
    > * * * * inet 172.28.134.142 .....
    > fjgi0:1: flags=1000843 mtu 1500
    > index 2
    > * * * * inet 172.28.134.149 ....
    > fjgi1: flags=1000843 mtu 1500
    > index 3
    > * * * * inet 172.28.134.143 ....
    >
    > > traceroute 172.29.130.21

    > traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found; using 172.28.134.142@
    > fjgi0
    > traceroute to 172.29.130.21 (172.29.130.21), 30 hops max, 40 byte
    > packets
    > :
    > :
    > :

    Add the "deprecated" flag to the interfaces in question. From the
    ifconfig man page:

    deprecated

    Marks the logical interface as deprecated. An address associated
    with a deprecated interface will not be used as source address for
    outbound packets unless either there are no other addresses
    available on the interface or the application has bound to this
    address explicitly. The status display shows DEPRECATED as part of
    flags.

  3. Re: Forcing Solaris 10 IPMP traffic on one NIC only

    On Oct 17, 1:32*pm, underh20.scubadiv...@gmail.com wrote:
    > To whom it may concern,
    >
    > We are running IPMP at our Solaris 10 server. *The primary address is
    > 172.28.134.149 and
    > 2 payload addresses are 172.28.134.142 and 172.28.134.143. *We notice
    > that our traffic from an appication to another server is going thru
    > the payload address172.28.134.142 and not the primary address.
    >
    > Is there any way for an application to be "forced" to use the primary
    > address 172.28.134.149
    > exclusively and not thru other 2 non-primary NICs ?
    >
    > Thanks, *Bill
    >
    > > ifconfig -a

    > fjgi0: flags=1000843 mtu 1500
    > index 2
    > * * * * inet 172.28.134.142 .....
    > fjgi0:1: flags=1000843 mtu 1500
    > index 2
    > * * * * inet 172.28.134.149 ....
    > fjgi1: flags=1000843 mtu 1500
    > index 3
    > * * * * inet 172.28.134.143 ....
    >
    > > traceroute 172.29.130.21

    > traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found; using 172.28.134.142@
    > fjgi0
    > traceroute to 172.29.130.21 (172.29.130.21), 30 hops max, 40 byte
    > packets
    > :
    > :
    > :

    Add the "deprecated" flag to the interfaces in question. From the
    ifconfig man page:

    deprecated

    Marks the logical interface as deprecated. An address associated
    with a deprecated interface will not be used as source address for
    outbound packets unless either there are no other addresses
    available on the interface or the application has bound to this
    address explicitly. The status display shows DEPRECATED as part of
    flags.

  4. Re: Forcing Solaris 10 IPMP traffic on one NIC only

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com schrieb:
    > To whom it may concern,
    >
    > We are running IPMP at our Solaris 10 server. The primary address is
    > 172.28.134.149 and
    > 2 payload addresses are 172.28.134.142 and 172.28.134.143. We notice
    > that our traffic from an appication to another server is going thru
    > the payload address172.28.134.142 and not the primary address.
    >
    > Is there any way for an application to be "forced" to use the primary
    > address 172.28.134.149
    > exclusively and not thru other 2 non-primary NICs ?

    an application can bind to a specific address and must not use *, but
    the deprecated flag is what you look for i assume.

  5. Re: Forcing Solaris 10 IPMP traffic on one NIC only

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com schrieb:
    > To whom it may concern,
    >
    > We are running IPMP at our Solaris 10 server. The primary address is
    > 172.28.134.149 and
    > 2 payload addresses are 172.28.134.142 and 172.28.134.143. We notice
    > that our traffic from an appication to another server is going thru
    > the payload address172.28.134.142 and not the primary address.
    >
    > Is there any way for an application to be "forced" to use the primary
    > address 172.28.134.149
    > exclusively and not thru other 2 non-primary NICs ?

    an application can bind to a specific address and must not use *, but
    the deprecated flag is what you look for i assume.

+ Reply to Thread