benefits of ZFS boot? - Unix

This is a discussion on benefits of ZFS boot? - Unix ; I have a machine on which I plan to install Update 6 when available. I'd been planning on creating some ZFS filesystems for data but putting the system on a UFS partition. For no particular reason other than feeling no ...

  1. benefits of ZFS boot?

    I have a machine on which I plan to install Update 6 when available. I'd
    been planning on creating some ZFS filesystems for data but putting the
    system on a UFS partition. For no particular reason other than feeling
    no need to be on the bleeding edge, and that logging UFS is quite fine
    for a boot partition.

    But reading between the lines of some other posts I'm getting the
    impression that there may be specific advantages to ZFS boot. I want to
    start planning this stuff now, so can anyone tell me what, if any, are
    the advantages of ZFS boot for a standard system install? I.e. I have no
    plan to do anything in the foreseeable future with containers or
    virtualization; it's basically an NFS server.

    One reason I want to plan now is that, if it will boot off UFS, I might
    install Update 5 now, start some of the basic setup, and upgrade to U6
    when it arrives. But of course if it's a ZFS boot I can't do that.

    Thanks,
    AS

  2. Re: benefits of ZFS boot?

    Whoops, sent to wrong group. Please ignore.

+ Reply to Thread