Different FROM field in cron emails? - Unix

This is a discussion on Different FROM field in cron emails? - Unix ; I set up a shell script that periodically backs up web host's account using a crontab entry. So far so good and I even get a nice email from that script whenever the backup is complete. However, the email sent ...

  1. Different FROM field in cron emails?

    I set up a shell script that periodically backs up web host's account
    using a crontab entry.

    So far so good and I even get a nice email from that script whenever
    the backup is complete.

    However, the email sent has the "From:" field set to
    @.serverNNN.com.

    Since I consider my web host's userid an important part of security
    (i.e. password is important, but if userid is known it is even easier
    to (illegally) break into the account.

    Is there a way to make cron send an email FROM a different email
    account?

    Ideally it should be existingemailaccount@mydomain.com

    Is this possible?

    If so, how?

    Thank!
    Nick

  2. Re: Different FROM field in cron emails?

    manager59073...@shinedyoureyes.com wrote:

    > I set up a shell script that periodically backs up web host's account
    > using a crontab entry.
    >
    > So far so good and I even get a nice email from that script whenever
    > the backup is complete.
    >
    > However, the email sent has the "From:" field set to
    > @.serverNNN.com.
    >
    > Since I consider my web host's userid an important part of security
    > (i.e. password is important, but if userid is known it is even easier
    > to (illegally) break into the account.
    >
    > Is there a way to make cron send an email FROM a different email
    > account?
    >
    > Ideally it should be existingemailacco...@mydomain.com
    >
    > Is this possible?
    >
    > If so, how?

    Redirect all standard out to a log file. Near the end of the script,
    call sendmail directly supplying the from line.

  3. Re: Different FROM field in cron emails?

    On Oct 13, 12:24*pm, Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > manager59073...@shinedyoureyes.com wrote:
    >
    > > I set up a shell script that periodically backs up web host's account
    > > using a crontab entry.

    > > So far so good and I even get a nice email from that script whenever
    > > the backup is complete.

    > > However, the email sent has the "From:" field set to
    > > @.serverNNN.com.

    > > Since I consider my web host's userid an important part of security
    > > (i.e. password is important, but if userid is known it is even easier
    > > to (illegally) break into the account.

    > > Is there a way to make cron send an email FROM a different email
    > > account?

    > > Ideally it should be existingemailacco...@mydomain.com

    > > Is this possible?

    > > If so, how?

    > Redirect all standard out to a log file. *Near the end of the script,
    > call sendmail directly supplying the from line.- Hide quoted text -

    I usually have the "To:", "Subject:" as the first lines in the log
    file. Something like:

    From: existingmailaccount@mydomain.com
    -or-
    From: MyNickName
    can be added there or directly at the sendmail command as noted
    elsewhere

+ Reply to Thread