UNIX groups and subgroups - Unix

This is a discussion on UNIX groups and subgroups - Unix ; I know you have subnetgroups in UNIX but does the same apply to groups when using NIS? For example a group called foo with user a,b,c and then another group called testgrp with user d,e,f Can I make an entry ...

  1. UNIX groups and subgroups

    I know you have subnetgroups in UNIX but does the same apply to groups
    when using NIS?
    For example a group called foo with user a,b,c and then another
    group called testgrp with user d,e,f
    Can I make an entry of the following

    foo:a,b,c,testgrp

  2. Re: UNIX groups and subgroups

    In article
    <6ea9d91e-5fda-4514-be71-e564ce69f779@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
    littlehelphere@gmail.com wrote:

    > I know you have subnetgroups in UNIX but does the same apply to groups
    > when using NIS?
    > For example a group called foo with user a,b,c and then another
    > group called testgrp with user d,e,f
    > Can I make an entry of the following
    >
    > foo:a,b,c,testgrp

    No, Unix groups are not recursive, regardless of whether you use NIS or
    just /etc/group.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA