ANN: Seed7 Release 2008-10-05 - Unix

This is a discussion on ANN: Seed7 Release 2008-10-05 - Unix ; Hello, I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20081005.tgz In the Seed7 programming language new statements and operators can be declared easily. Types are first class objects and therefore templates/generics need no special syntax. Object orientation is used when ...

  1. ANN: Seed7 Release 2008-10-05

    Hello,

    I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20081005.tgz

    In the Seed7 programming language new statements and operators
    can be declared easily. Types are first class objects and therefore
    templates/generics need no special syntax. Object orientation is
    used when it brings advantages and not in places when other
    solutions are more obvious.

    Seed7 is covered by the GPL (and LGPL for the Seed7 runtime library).

    Changelog:
    - The chapter about primitive actions in the manual was improved.
    - The definition of STD_NULL in the seed7_05.s7i library was
    improved to support read and write operations with STD_NULL.
    - The bas7.sd7 (basic interpreter) example program was improved to
    support file numbers outside the range of 1 to 256 and to convert
    arrays to images when necessary.
    - The compiler (comp.sd7) was improved to support local interface
    declarations and dynamic functions which refer to constant values.
    - Several improvements were done in the compiler to support
    generating C programs acceptable for the cl compiler from msvc and
    for the bcc32 compiler.
    - A check for double function pointers was added to the function
    get_primact() in the file actutl.c .
    - A boss mode was added to the lander.sd7 and sudoku7.sd7 example
    programs.
    - The file common.h was improved to introduce the types int64type,
    uint64type, int32type, uint32type, int16type, uint16type, int8type
    and uint8type.
    - The functions bigULConv and bigLOrd were renamed to bigFromUInt64
    and bigToInt64 respectively.
    - The function bigCLit() was improved to avoid C code that the cl C
    compiler from msvc miscompiles to the wrong machine code.
    - The functions setupFloat and _matherr and the makefile mk_bcc32.mak
    were added to support compilation with bcc32.
    - The feature test macro HAS_LONGTYPE_64 was renamed to HAS_INT64TYPE
    in various files.
    - The feature macros INHIBIT_C_WARNINGS and NO_EMPTY_STRUCTS were
    added or improved.
    - The makefiles mk_mingw.mak, mk_msvc.mak and mk_nmake.mak were
    changed to create and use the file setpaths.c instead of several
    other files.

    Greetings Thomas Mertes

  2. Re: Seed7 Release 2008-10-05

    Tonight an unprecedented media blitz by a Presidential candidate. Some of
    you can be in this 1/2 hour movie about how the Obama team will repair some
    problems in the U.S nation. The first scene of the movie is about alot of
    problems including teaching people to use new technology. You and some
    others on this message list are in scene two (2). This scene is about
    problems with your program designs. Also about people who can not do math
    and some kids who get into crime and social chaos. This is about Obama's
    making fun of your programming. and he is making fun of the rest of those
    numskulls. This takes bout 27 minutes of this movie. Last scene you look
    like you now understand. Obama is gonna fell your pain and he is also gonna
    make you feel that pain... !! And Sara Palin is looking good on Saturday
    Night Live television show. What's Wrong with that!? Paid for by Internet
    ISPs everywhere.

    wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20081005.tgz

  3. Re: Seed7 Release 2008-10-05

    On 30 Okt., 05:25, "Crushed_Ice" wrote:
    > Tonight an unprecedented media blitz by a Presidential candidate. Some of
    > you can be in this 1/2 hour movie about how the Obama team will repair some
    > problems in the U.S nation. The first scene of the movie is about alot of
    > problems including teaching people to use new technology. You and some
    > others on this message list are in scene two (2).

    How can you tell, that I appear in scene two (2) of this movie?
    AFAIK I never released a picture of me in the internet.
    Or did you see some discussion entries of a programming group in the
    movie?

    > This scene is about
    > problems with your program designs.

    Can it be, that you exaggerate a little bit.
    I can hardly believe that Obama wants to become US president by
    criticising
    my program designs? Doesn't he know that such criticism can have a
    negative influence on his popularity?

    On the contrary I think you missunderstood something and my program
    designs will turn the world into a better one...
    Obama just told me that he agrees with me and that he wants me as
    official programming consultant of the white house.
    Since I am from austria (no kangaroos here) I have chances to later
    become governor of some US state.

    BTW: US != world
    Please avoid arguing as if the US are the only country in the world.

    > Also about people who can not do math

    I will not discuss such issues here.

    If you want to discuss really about programming and Seed7 you are
    always welcome.

    Are there suggestions what features a programming language should
    have?

    Greetings Thomas Mertes

  4. Re: Seed7 Release 2008-10-05

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:22:49 GMT, "thomas.mertes" wrote:

    > Are there suggestions what features a programming language should
    > have?

    I was always under the impression that the sole required feature is that it
    allows the programmer to do "something". I'm pretty sure Seed7 falls squarely
    inside that definition.

    --
    Alcohol makes you immune to gravity. And bulletproof.

  5. Re: Seed7 Release 2008-10-05

    The language can be defined via system analysis, or relative to the
    environment. An approach could be related to sociable communication, by
    recognizing how the insertion of statements must also imply acceptance of
    responsibility to maintain the level of management in the assertions
    (software app). Our society relies often upon interactions in a hierarchy
    which lacks accountability. But systems analysis is meant as the reforming
    approach to hyper systems. The books here recommend study of the semantic
    web, which is a step beyond client/server to cooperative objects which do
    not pertain to human interaction.

    I was encouraged by the recent on of directory manipulation language feature
    of SEED7. The C language statements in those respects are not too well
    documented in my experience, which is in the past by now.

    A definitive book The Essential Distributed Objects Survival Guide, by
    Orfali, Harkey and Edwards 1996 describes the move to semantic techniques
    per mappings, timing, lifecycles, buses, containers and data integration.
    If I was an application designer I would implement those. But they can be
    implemented in roundabout ways if you can control the environment, without
    statements. A whip seems to do the trick.. Which his probably where the
    selection of candidates for political office interacts with the egalitarian
    influce of SEED7 designs and software system applications. Show some cheek
    in your next cinematic appearance we'll be watching.

    It seems that these ancient governments are really serious about maintaining
    a world of dominance and submission, which will be unlikely to result from
    current practices of the people in charge of the environments. Long Live
    MErtes!@

    wrote in message
    > On 30 Okt., 05:25, "Crushed_Ice" wrote:
    > > Tonight an unprecedented media blitz by a Presidential candidate. Some

    of
    > > you can be in this 1/2 hour movie about how the Obama team will repair

    some
    > > problems in the U.S nation. The first scene of the movie is about alot

    of
    > > problems including teaching people to use new technology. You and

    some
    > > others on this message list are in scene two (2).

    > How can you tell, that I appear in scene two (2) of this movie?
    > AFAIK I never released a picture of me in the internet.
    > Or did you see some discussion entries of a programming group in the
    > movie?
    >
    > > This scene is about
    > > problems with your program designs.

    > Can it be, that you exaggerate a little bit.
    > I can hardly believe that Obama wants to become US president by
    > criticising
    > my program designs? Doesn't he know that such criticism can have a
    > negative influence on his popularity?
    >
    > On the contrary I think you missunderstood something and my program
    > designs will turn the world into a better one...
    > Obama just told me that he agrees with me and that he wants me as
    > official programming consultant of the white house.
    > Since I am from austria (no kangaroos here) I have chances to later
    > become governor of some US state.
    >
    > BTW: US != world
    > Please avoid arguing as if the US are the only country in the world.
    >
    > > Also about people who can not do math

    > I will not discuss such issues here.
    >
    > If you want to discuss really about programming and Seed7 you are
    > always welcome.
    >
    > Are there suggestions what features a programming language should
    > have?
    >
    > Greetings Thomas Mertes
    >
    > Seed7 Homepage: http://seed7.sourceforge.net
    > Seed7 - The extensible programming language: User defined statements
    > and operators, abstract data types, templates without special
    > syntax, OO with interfaces and multiple dispatch, statically typed,
    > interpreted or compiled, portable, runs under linux/unix/windows.

  6. Re: Seed7 Release 2008-10-05

    A Strident Mistress .. Lou Reed..

    "Crushed_Ice" wrote in message
    > The language can be defined via system analysis, or relative to the
    > environment. An approach could be related to sociable communication, by
    > recognizing how the insertion of statements must also imply acceptance of
    > responsibility to maintain the level of management in the assertions
    > (software app). Our society relies often upon interactions in a hierarchy
    > which lacks accountability. But systems analysis is meant as the

    reforming
    > approach to hyper systems. The books here recommend study of the semantic
    > web, which is a step beyond client/server to cooperative objects which do
    > not pertain to human interaction.
    >
    > I was encouraged by the recent on of directory manipulation language

    feature

  7. Re: Seed7 Release 2008-10-05

    the Raggedy Queen ... unknown author

> [...]

    > > Since I am from austria (no kangaroos here) I have chances to later
    > > become governor of some US state.
    > >
    > > BTW: US != world
    > > Please avoid arguing as if the US are the only country in the world.
    > >
    > > > Also about people who can not do math

    > > I will not discuss such issues here.
    > >
    > > If you want to discuss really about programming and Seed7 you are
    > > always welcome.
    > >
    > > Are there suggestions what features a programming language should
    > > have?
    > >
    > > Greetings Thomas Mertes
    > >
    > > Seed7 Homepage: http://seed7.sourceforge.net
    > > Seed7 - The extensible programming language: User defined statements
    > > and operators, abstract data types, templates without special
    > > syntax, OO with interfaces and multiple dispatch, statically typed,
    > > interpreted or compiled, portable, runs under linux/unix/windows.

+ Reply to Thread