how to increase the memory on hp-ux B.11.23 - Unix

This is a discussion on how to increase the memory on hp-ux B.11.23 - Unix ; hi, I have read the below extract ..1. How can I increase the memory limit for 32-bit apps ? On HPUX 11, you have these options that you can use to increase memory above the default memory limit of 0.9GB ...

  1. how to increase the memory on hp-ux B.11.23

    hi,

    I have read the below extract

    ..1. How can I increase the memory limit for 32-bit apps ?

    On HPUX 11, you have these options that you can use to increase
    memory above the default memory limit of 0.9GB for 32-bit apps using
    the HP compilers:

    * compile/link with -Wl, -N to get up to 2GB of memory for 32-
    bit apps.

    * compile/link in 64-bit mode using +DD64 (HPUX C/C++). This
    will create 64-bit apps in wide mode to get you all the memory you
    could ever possibly need (joke). Your memory limit will not be imposed
    by the HP compiler, but other system constraints. In general, you'll
    be able to access multi-gigabytes of memory.

    * For gcc/g++ use the -mlp64 compile flag for a 64-bit
    compile.

    Just want to know whether there is any flag that can be used with gcc
    compiler to increase the memory size.

    thanks and regards,
    arti

  2. Re: how to increase the memory on hp-ux B.11.23

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 05:45:26 -0700, shrav4ever wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > I have read the below extract
    >
    > .1. How can I increase the memory limit for 32-bit apps ?
    >
    > On HPUX 11, you have these options that you can use to increase
    > memory above the default memory limit of 0.9GB for 32-bit apps using the
    > HP compilers:
    >
    > * compile/link with -Wl, -N to get up to 2GB of memory for 32-
    > bit apps.
    >
    > * compile/link in 64-bit mode using +DD64 (HPUX C/C++). This
    > will create 64-bit apps in wide mode to get you all the memory you could
    > ever possibly need (joke). Your memory limit will not be imposed by the
    > HP compiler, but other system constraints. In general, you'll be able to
    > access multi-gigabytes of memory.
    >
    > * For gcc/g++ use the -mlp64 compile flag for a 64-bit
    > compile.
    >

    > Just want to know whether there is any flag that can be used with gcc
    > compiler to increase the memory size.
    >

    > thanks and regards,
    > arti

    Yes!

    The option is called -without-clue --with-256-bit pointers

    The rest is trivial.

    HTH,
    AvK

  3. Re: how to increase the memory on hp-ux B.11.23

    shrav4ever@gmail.com wrote:
    > Just want to know whether there is any flag that can be used with
    > gcc compiler to increase the memory size.

    I cannot say that I've looked for one as I use the HP compilers 99
    times out of ten when compiling on HP-UX. Still, you might try asking
    in comp.sys.hp.hpux or a gcc-specific newsgroup.

    rick jones

  4. Re: how to increase the memory on hp-ux B.11.23

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > shrav4ever@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Just want to know whether there is any flag that can be used with
    >> gcc compiler to increase the memory size.

    > I cannot say that I've looked for one as I use the HP compilers 99
    > times out of ten when compiling on HP-UX. Still, you might try asking
    > in comp.sys.hp.hpux or a gcc-specific newsgroup.

    99 times out of ten? That's one optimizing compiler!

    AS

  5. Re: how to increase the memory on hp-ux B.11.23

    Arch Stanton wrote:
    > 99 times out of ten? That's one optimizing compiler!

    Yep - actually it was an expression I picked-up from Coach McNair in
    the athletic department at my school/highschool long long ago

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  6. Re: how to increase the memory on hp-ux B.11.23

    On Oct 3, 7:45 am, shrav4e...@gmail.com wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I have read the below extract
    >
    > .1. How can I increase the memory limit for 32-bit apps ?
    >
    > On HPUX 11, you have these options that you can use to increase
    > memory above the default memory limit of 0.9GB for 32-bit apps using
    > the HP compilers:
    >
    > * compile/link with -Wl, -N to get up to 2GB of memory for 32-
    > bit apps.
    >
    > * compile/link in 64-bit mode using +DD64 (HPUX C/C++). This
    > will create 64-bit apps in wide mode to get you all the memory you
    > could ever possibly need (joke). Your memory limit will not be imposed
    > by the HP compiler, but other system constraints. In general, you'll
    > be able to access multi-gigabytes of memory.
    >
    > * For gcc/g++ use the -mlp64 compile flag for a 64-bit
    > compile.
    >
    > Just want to know whether there is any flag that can be used with gcc
    > compiler to increase the memory size.
    >
    > thanks and regards,
    > arti

    It looks like you're using IA-64 (Itanium), given your gcc/g++ flags.
    The only flag for IA-64 that I can find is the one you mentioned. It
    doesn't say if it actually produces 64-bit code, but is there even a
    32-bit Itanium instruction set?

    From man gcc:
    -milp32
    -mlp64
    Generate code for a 32-bit or 64-bit environment. The 32-bit
    environment sets int, long and pointer to 32 bits. The 64-bit
    environment sets int to 32 bits and long and pointer to 64 bits.
    These are HP-UX specific flags.

    I'm not very informed on the Itanium architecture, but you could try
    the option and see the results. Is there a reason not to use 64-bit
    code? Anything that is hitting a 1GB barrier is likely to eventually
    run into a 2GB or 4GB barrier as well. Also, IIRC, all 32-bit
    software on the Itanium is x86 and run via an emulator. If you're
    running on an x86 (or x86_64) chip, I think the memory available in 32-
    bit is dependent on chipset features and kernel settings, with a hard
    limit of 4GB. I could be wrong. I haven't had a 32-bit Linux on a
    machine that supported more than 1GB RAM, and I haven't run HP-UX.

  7. Re: how to increase the memory on hp-ux B.11.23

    jbo5112 wrote:
    > Also, IIRC, all 32-bit software on the Itanium is x86 and run via an
    > emulator.

    This is an all too common misconception. HP-UX offers a native,
    32-bit IPF runtime environment on Itanium systems. There is an
    emulator called Aries on HP-UX, it is there to run 32 and 64-bit
    PA-RISC binaries.

    It is Linux on Itanium where native is 64-bit only and where there is
    the EL32 emulation package to run emulated x86 binaries.

    rick jones