port scanng behind NAT - Unix

This is a discussion on port scanng behind NAT - Unix ; I use VMWare player with live backtrack linux(host is Windows XP). VMWare uses NAT to provide internet connection to the guest OS(backtrack linux). Is there any possiblity that if I do any port scanning(using nmap) or vulenarability detection (using nikto ...

  1. port scanng behind NAT

    I use VMWare player with live backtrack linux(host is Windows XP).

    VMWare uses NAT to provide internet connection to the guest
    OS(backtrack linux).

    Is there any possiblity that if I do any port scanning(using nmap) or
    vulenarability detection (using nikto or asp-audit), will my o/p be
    faulty ????

    Why can't my trace route gives every ip hop distant of 2 ???

  2. Re: port scanng behind NAT

    On Sep 22 2008 06:27, asit wrote:

    > I use VMWare player with live backtrack linux(host is Windows XP).
    >
    > VMWare uses NAT to provide internet connection to the guest
    > OS(backtrack linux).
    >
    > Is there any possiblity that if I do any port scanning(using nmap) or
    > vulenarability detection (using nikto or asp-audit), will my o/p be
    > faulty ????

    Original poster being faulty?

    > Why can't my trace route gives every ip hop distant of 2 ???

    Because you do not seem to use the "Host-only".

    Granted, VMware's names for the different techinques (Bridge, NAT,
    Host-only) are a bit of a misnomer.. but they are not wrong either per
    se.

  3. Re: port scanng behind NAT

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:02:31 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

    > On Sep 22 2008 06:27, asit wrote:
    >>
    >> I use VMWare player with live backtrack linux(host is Windows XP).
    >>
    >> VMWare uses NAT to provide internet connection to the guest
    >> OS(backtrack linux).
    >>
    >> Is there any possiblity that if I do any port scanning(using nmap) or
    >> vulenarability detection (using nikto or asp-audit), will my o/p be
    >> faulty ????

    > Original poster being faulty?

    Don't be silly, it's "Observation Post".

    (or perhaps the o/p meant "output")

+ Reply to Thread