Analyze a set of processes's memory usage - Unix

This is a discussion on Analyze a set of processes's memory usage - Unix ; Hi, I wanna monitor a set of user processes's memory usage and finding out potential leaks. What's the tool I should use? Thanks....

  1. Analyze a set of processes's memory usage

    Hi,

    I wanna monitor a set of user processes's memory usage and finding out
    potential leaks. What's the tool I should use? Thanks.

  2. Re: Analyze a set of processes's memory usage

    Steven Woody wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wanna monitor a set of user processes's memory usage and finding out
    > potential leaks. What's the tool I should use? Thanks.

    What's "wanna"?

    You don't say which system you are using.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Analyze a set of processes's memory usage

    On Sep 22, 8:28*am, Steven Woody wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wanna monitor a set of user processes's memory usage and finding out
    > potential leaks. *What's the tool I should use? Thanks.

    If you are talking about an operational system, then /proc/[pid]/ and /
    proc/[pid]/status could be useful for monitoring process's memory
    usage. but if you want to detect memory leaks in testing stage, then
    Valgrind can helps so much.

  4. Re: Analyze a set of processes's memory usage

    On Sep 22, 3:36*pm, Ian Collins wrote:
    > Steven Woody wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I wanna monitor a set of user processes's memory usage and finding out
    > > potential leaks. *What's the tool I should use? Thanks.

    > What's "wanna"?

    want to

    > You don't say which system you are using.

    The system is Linux.

  5. Re: Analyze a set of processes's memory usage

    On Sep 22, 7:40*pm, "M.Reza.Qurbani" wrote:
    > On Sep 22, 8:28*am, Steven Woody wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I wanna monitor a set of user processes's memory usage and finding out
    > > potential leaks. *What's the tool I should use? Thanks.

    > If you are talking about an operational system, then /proc/[pid]/ and /
    > proc/[pid]/status could be useful for monitoring process's memory
    > usage. but if you want to detect memory leaks in testing stage, then
    > Valgrind can helps so much.

    The target system is an ARM/Linux. I want to do some simple analysis
    to get know what process is using memory in a way of continue
    increasing in amounts. So I think this may be approached by some
    simple build-in shell tools. By writing a script to read proc/pid/
    status, can I get this done? Anyway I am reading Valgrind as you
    mentioned, but it may take many times and I am not sure if it can run
    on my ARM/Linux box.

    Thanks.

  6. Re: Analyze a set of processes's memory usage

    > So I think this may be approached by some simple build-in shell tools. By writing a script to read proc/pid/ status, can I get this done?

    Yes, I think in this case a shell script for analyzing /proc/[pid]/
    status
    could be a good idea.

    > Anyway I am reading Valgrind as you mentioned, but it may take many timesand I am not sure if it can run
    > on my ARM/Linux box.

    You have right, valgrind doesn't support ARM. [http://valgrind.org/
    info/platforms.html] even if it did, that couldn't help in this case.
    Valgrind is a debugging/profiling system, you more need a monitoring
    technique.

    M.Reza Qurbani

    On Sep 23, 6:51*am, Steven Woody wrote:
    > On Sep 22, 7:40*pm, "M.Reza.Qurbani" wrote:
    >
    > > On Sep 22, 8:28*am, Steven Woody wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > I wanna monitor a set of user processes's memory usage and finding out
    > > > potential leaks. *What's the tool I should use? Thanks.

    > > If you are talking about an operational system, then /proc/[pid]/ and /
    > > proc/[pid]/status could be useful for monitoring process's memory
    > > usage. but if you want to detect memory leaks in testing stage, then
    > > Valgrind can helps so much.

    > The target system is an ARM/Linux. *I want to do some simple analysis
    > to get know what process is using memory in a way of continue
    > increasing in amounts. So I think this may be approached by some
    > simple build-in shell tools. *By writing a script to read proc/pid/
    > status, can I get this done? *Anyway I am reading Valgrind as you
    > mentioned, but it may take many times and I am not sure if it can run
    > on my ARM/Linux box.
    >
    > Thanks.

  7. Re: Analyze a set of processes's memory usage

    Steven Woody writes:
    > On Sep 22, 7:40*pm, "M.Reza.Qurbani" wrote:
    >> On Sep 22, 8:28*am, Steven Woody wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,

    >> > I wanna monitor a set of user processes's memory usage and finding out
    >> > potential leaks. *What's the tool I should use? Thanks.

    >> If you are talking about an operational system, then /proc/[pid]/ and /
    >> proc/[pid]/status could be useful for monitoring process's memory
    >> usage. but if you want to detect memory leaks in testing stage, then
    >> Valgrind can helps so much.

    > The target system is an ARM/Linux. I want to do some simple analysis
    > to get know what process is using memory in a way of continue
    > increasing in amounts. So I think this may be approached by some
    > simple build-in shell tools.

    The obvious candidates would be top and/ or ps.

+ Reply to Thread