perl vs python - Unix

This is a discussion on perl vs python - Unix ; Which one is best among perl and python ??? I know python and perl are different languages. But there are substitute of python like java, C#, etc similarly for perl there is so many substitutes. But these languages are useful. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. perl vs python

    Which one is best among perl and python ???

    I know python and perl are different languages. But there are
    substitute of python like java, C#, etc similarly for perl there is so
    many substitutes. But these languages are useful. But which one is
    best for future ???

  2. Re: perl vs python

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:07:06 -0700 (PDT), asit wrote:
    > Which one is best among perl and python ???

    Learn both.

    They are both nice languages, and they have thriving, wonderful
    communities of very smart people.

  3. Re: perl vs python

    In article
    <0d8abd5a-3eb3-4c14-a84e-2716f10fe665@p10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    asit wrote:

    > Which one is best among perl and python ???

    Good luck getting a concensus for this.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  4. Re: perl vs python

    Python is clean simple, easy and the creators believe that every
    problem should have one good solution.
    The upshot here is that it's very readable and you can code quickly.

    Perl is messy, cryptic and the creators believe that how a problem
    should be solved depends on who's
    working on it. The advantage here is that perl acts like a spoken
    language and makes the same sort
    of changes.

    I've done both in the past and I like perl better than python because
    I happen to like interesting languages
    (I'm all left brain) but python is good to.

    Try ruby as well the syntax is very bland when compared to perl but
    it's worth looking at

  5. Re: perl vs python

    > Which one is best among perl and python ???

    Which is better - "e" or "u"?

    --
    mac the naïf

  6. Re: perl vs python

    asit wrote:
    > Which one is best among perl and python ???

    Perl, because it's 33% faster to type and 50% faster
    to speak.

    > I know python and perl are different languages. But there are
    > substitute of python like java, C#, etc similarly for perl there is so
    > many substitutes. But these languages are useful. But which one is
    > best for future ???

    Chinese.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    esosman@ieee-dot-org.invalid

  7. Re: perl vs python

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:45:25 -0400, Eric Sosman wrote:
    >asit wrote:
    >> I know python and perl are different languages. But there are
    >> substitute of python like java, C#, etc similarly for perl there is
    >> so many substitutes. But these languages are useful. But which one is
    >> best for future ???

    > Chinese.

    HAHA! Priceless

  8. Re: perl vs python

    Alex Colvin wrote:

    > Which is better - "e" or "u"?

    I think the Shamen said "'e's are good".

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  9. Re: perl vs python

    > many substitutes. But these languages are useful. But which one is
    > best for future ???

    A python can eat a perl, but a perl cant eat a python. So you know
    the answer.

  10. Re: perl vs python

    Dhilip_kumar writes:

    >> many substitutes. But these languages are useful. But which one is
    >> best for future ???

    > A python can eat a perl, but a perl cant eat a python. So you know
    > the answer.

    A python can eat its own tail, causing it starve to death.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  11. Re: perl vs python

    Dhilip_kumar writes:
    >> many substitutes. But these languages are useful. But which one is
    >> best for future ???

    > A python can eat a perl, but a perl cant eat a python. So you know
    > the answer.

    Pythons can it things they can't digest, but they can still sully
    them.

  12. Re: perl vs python

    Dhilip_kumar writes:
    >> many substitutes. But these languages are useful. But which one is
    >> best for future ???

    > A python can eat a perl, but a perl cant eat a python. So you know
    > the answer.

    Pythons can eat things they can't digest, but they can still sully
    them.

  13. Re: [OT] perl vs python

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:57:46 +0100, Mark Hobley wrote:

    > Alex Colvin wrote:
    >
    >> Which is better - "e" or "u"?

    > I think the Shamen said "'e's are good".

    e's are good, but according to Elvis "only U can make all this world seem
    right, only U can make the darkness bright"

  14. Re: [OT] perl vs python

    viza wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:57:46 +0100, Mark Hobley wrote:
    >
    >> Alex Colvin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Which is better - "e" or "u"?

    >> I think the Shamen said "'e's are good".

    > e's are good, but according to Elvis "only U can make all this world seem
    > right, only U can make the darkness bright"

    Or as Sinéad O'Connor would say "Nothing Compares 2 U".

    John
    in short order. -- Larry Wall

  15. Re: perl vs python

    I want to work mostly on web site maintenance and vulnerability
    detection. I have seen many people use perl for this purpose. I am not
    an experienced programmer and I need to get a job in future. Will perl
    help me...

  16. Re: perl vs python

    asit writes:
    >I want to work mostly on web site maintenance and vulnerability
    >detection. I have seen many people use perl for this purpose. I am not
    >an experienced programmer and I need to get a job in future. Will perl
    >help me...

    Sure. perl is a tool. So is python.

    You need a tool to do things.

    Ie. you need a hammer if you build a house.

    Having a tool doesn't mean you can build a house, but its certainly a
    step in the right direction. Learning how to use your hammer, and
    making smaller things with it will certainly get you to the goal of
    building bigger and bigger things.

  17. Re: perl vs python

    On 16 Sep, 14:42, asit wrote:
    > I want to work mostly on web site maintenance and vulnerability
    > detection. I have seen many people use perl for this purpose. I am not
    > an experienced programmer and I need to get a job in future. Will perl
    > help me...

    Knowing perl will be useful. Knowing python will be useful.
    If you are working (or hoping to work in) an office in which
    most of the code is written in perl, perl would probably be
    more useful. If the office uses python, then python would
    probably be more useful.

    Bottom line: spend at least a few weeks learning both.
    Find the strengths of each. Become familiar with
    the common idioms of both. Learn their weaknesses.

    Learn to answer the question for yourself, because
    only your answer is the correct one for you.

  18. Re: perl vs python

    Oooh, great question! Flame-proof suits, everyone!

    -Tom

    asit writes:
    >Which one is best among perl and python ???
    >I know python and perl are different languages. But there are
    >substitute of python like java, C#, etc similarly for perl there is so
    >many substitutes. But these languages are useful. But which one is
    >best for future ???

  19. Re: perl vs python

    the reason for being totally confused with this two languages is that
    I am a student.plz help ???

  20. Re: perl vs python

    In <679abd70-71ad-4d3c-8a87-92fd614ff357@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com> asit writes:

    > the reason for being totally confused with this two languages is that
    > I am a student.plz help ???

    Your question is a little like asking, "which is better, pie or cake?"

    Each has its advantages and disadvantages. It's up to you to learn more
    about each one and decide which is best for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast