perl vs python - Unix

This is a discussion on perl vs python - Unix ; RyanMcCoskrie writes: > Python is clean simple, easy and the creators believe that every > problem should have one good solution. Python has one creator and any of his ideas a defined as being The Right Thing[tm]. Presently, The Right ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: perl vs python

    RyanMcCoskrie writes:
    > Python is clean simple, easy and the creators believe that every
    > problem should have one good solution.

    Python has one creator and any of his ideas a defined as being The
    Right Thing[tm]. Presently, The Right Thing Version 2 is being worked
    on, which kind-of contradicts the factual claim in the first sentence,
    making it rather look like 'do as I tell and stop asking silly
    questions'.

    > The upshot here is that it's very readable and you can code quickly.

    To someone not familiar with it, the 'words' Python is composed of are
    as 'unreadable' as those of any other unkown language. In other words,
    it is meaningless to refer to the 'readbility' of a
    language. Languages are not read, they are used to compose texts and
    these are read. How readable they are depends on their style. And in
    this respect, the (very few) texts written in Phyton I had to deal
    with so far easily won leadership in the 'worst of breed' class. The
    only similar thing I can think of at moment would be the Open Vision
    contributed Kerberos 5 code, but the latter is at least (in the parts
    I know) mostly linear in structure, while the others were rather like
    naturally grown ethernet TP-cabling.

    A side question would be if the supposed 'ease of use' of Python
    empowers chaotically minded people to create more complicated messes
    because of it.

    > Perl is messy, cryptic and the creators believe that how a problem
    > should be solved depends on who's working on it.

    .... as opposed to 2000 lines of code no one understands which don't
    work (Python), a similarly disposed person will equally easily be able
    to create three lines of perl no one understand which don't work. But
    that's still a problem of language use and not of the language itself.

  2. Re: perl vs python

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:03:47 +0200, Rainer Weikusat
    wrote:

    >RyanMcCoskrie writes:

    >To someone not familiar with it, the 'words' Python is composed of are
    >as 'unreadable' as those of any other unkown language. In other words,
    >it is meaningless to refer to the 'readbility' of a
    >language.

    Readability? How about reading spaces?
    One of the biggest complaints about Python is it's use of whitespace
    as important language delimiters...... invisible tabs and indentations
    are crucial to Python, but you can't see them....... this is appalling
    to Perl people. Basing scripts on whitespace being organized into
    patterns is totalitarian.

    Long live random whitespace.... long live Perl. :-)

    zentara

    http://zentara.net/Remember_How_Lucky_You_Are.html

  3. Re: perl vs python

    zentara writes:

    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:03:47 +0200, Rainer Weikusat
    > wrote:
    >
    >>RyanMcCoskrie writes:

    >>To someone not familiar with it, the 'words' Python is composed of are
    >>as 'unreadable' as those of any other unkown language. In other words,
    >>it is meaningless to refer to the 'readbility' of a
    >>language.

    > Readability? How about reading spaces?
    > One of the biggest complaints about Python is it's use of whitespace
    > as important language delimiters...... invisible tabs and indentations
    > are crucial to Python, but you can't see them.......

    This is not really true. For one thing you *can* see white space -- it
    is one reason it used /as a delimiter/ is so may languages (including
    Perl).

    There are only two issues. One is tabs for indentation. I don't use
    then in any language anymore, so that is not an issue for me.

    The other point is that indentation is (in a few places, not all)
    significant in Python. This is, to me, entirely natural since I've
    been using languages with some for of "offside rule" since 1978 but if
    it bothers you then I suppose such languages are ruled out.

    > this is appalling
    > to Perl people.

    Perl has some rather "interesting" parsing rules as well! Don't get
    me wrong, I am a bit of Perl fanatic -- I use it all the time -- but
    syntactic clarity is not its strongest feature!

    --
    Ben.

  4. Re: perl vs python

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:57:00 +0100, Ben Bacarisse
    wrote:

    >zentara writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:03:47 +0200, Rainer Weikusat
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> Readability? How about reading spaces?

    >This is not really true. For one thing you *can* see white space -- it
    >is one reason it used /as a delimiter/ is so may languages (including
    >Perl).
    >
    >There are only two issues. One is tabs for indentation. I don't use
    >then in any language anymore, so that is not an issue for me.

    >Perl has some rather "interesting" parsing rules as well! Don't get
    >me wrong, I am a bit of Perl fanatic -- I use it all the time -- but
    >syntactic clarity is not its strongest feature!

    Yeah, just flaming. :-) Python must be good because it's following
    is quite large.

    Disregarding the whitespace/indentation issues, I suppose the biggest
    difference between Perl and Python, is the object-orientation of Python.
    This tends to make it popular in colleges, because the teachers like the
    cleaness of OO style. Classes and objects are so neat and tidy, so the
    colleges are preferring to use Java, Python, C++, etc; and we are seeing
    the results as these people graduate and bring that style to the general
    public.

    BUT....... many OO style programmers, come crawling
    to Perl after awhile, typically saying things like: "I just want a quick
    script to do this, and I don't want to waste time on building objects".
    Or " Perl has a certain kind of simplicity". :-)