Monitor health of my suse 9 server - Unix

This is a discussion on Monitor health of my suse 9 server - Unix ; Hi, I need to monitor my linux server (remote) but don't want to install a lot of new software on it. Is there a simple way to monitor CPU, memory, disks, network insterfaces. it seems like the server is going ...

  1. Monitor health of my suse 9 server

    Hi,

    I need to monitor my linux server (remote) but don't want to install a
    lot of new software on it. Is there a simple way to monitor CPU, memory,
    disks, network insterfaces.

    it seems like the server is going down ( I cannot ping it) and the it is
    going up after a while.

    Any simple way to do it?

    cheers,

    //mike

  2. Re: Monitor health of my suse 9 server

    On Sep 15, 10:19 am, mike wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to monitor my linux server (remote) but don't want to install a
    > lot of new software on it. Is there a simple way to monitor CPU, memory,
    > disks, network insterfaces.
    >
    > it seems like the server is going down ( I cannot ping it) and the it is
    > going up after a while.
    >
    > Any simple way to do it?
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > //mike

    The "correct way" would be installing something like nagios which can
    monitor
    everything you want plus allow you to write your own site-specific
    plugins. I
    say this because it's pretty rare that you just need to monitor one
    host. Normally,
    such requirements grow so you might as well get ahead of the game with
    something
    that can scale from the get-go.

    But if you REALLY don't want to go to all that trouble, you can roll
    your own cron
    script that perhaps ssh'es into the host and runs a few commands,
    looking for
    specific output then returning a status, perhaps emailing you but only
    if it
    finds a problem.

+ Reply to Thread