ioctl() on UNIX/Linux - Unix

This is a discussion on ioctl() on UNIX/Linux - Unix ; Greetings ! Where can I find an exhaustive treatment of the ioctl() system call on UNIX/Linux ?, and documentation specially concerning : 1. file I/O 2. socket I/O 3. terminal I/O . Thanks in advance. Alexandru....

  1. ioctl() on UNIX/Linux

    Greetings !

    Where can I find an exhaustive treatment of the ioctl() system call on
    UNIX/Linux ?, and documentation specially concerning :

    1. file I/O
    2. socket I/O
    3. terminal I/O .

    Thanks in advance.
    Alexandru.

  2. Re: ioctl() on UNIX/Linux

    alexandrug wrote:

    > Where can I find an exhaustive treatment of the ioctl() system call on
    > UNIX/Linux ?

    AFAIU, ioctl is not standardized. What's "UNIX/Linux" to you? :-)

    > and documentation specially concerning :
    >
    > 1. file I/O
    > 2. socket I/O
    > 3. terminal I/O

    In Linux, the following man pages might be a good starting point.

    http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/...2/ioctl.2.html
    http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/...tl_list.2.html
    http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/...y_ioctl.4.html
    http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/.../socket.7.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ioctl

    Regards.

  3. Re: ioctl() on UNIX/Linux

    On Sep 12, 6:23*pm, Boon wrote:
    > alexandrug wrote:
    > > Where can I find an exhaustive treatment of the ioctl() system call on
    > > UNIX/Linux ?

    > AFAIU, ioctl is not standardized. What's "UNIX/Linux" to you? :-)

    OK, on Linux.

    > > and documentation specially concerning :

    > > 1. file I/O
    > > 2. socket I/O
    > > 3. terminal I/O

    > In Linux, the following man pages might be a good starting point.
    >
    > http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/.../socket.7.html
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ioctl
    >
    > Regards.

    Some other documentation is out there ?

  4. Re: ioctl() on UNIX/Linux

    On Sep 13, 12:34*am, alexandrug wrote:
    > On Sep 12, 6:23*pm, Boon wrote:
    >
    > > alexandrug wrote:
    > > > Where can I find an exhaustive treatment of the ioctl() system call on
    > > > UNIX/Linux ?

    > > AFAIU, ioctl is not standardized. What's "UNIX/Linux" to you? :-)

    > OK, on Linux.
    >
    > > > and documentation specially concerning :

    > > > 1. file I/O
    > > > 2. socket I/O
    > > > 3. terminal I/O

    > > In Linux, the following man pages might be a good starting point.

    > >http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/...octl.2.htmlhtt...

    > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ioctl

    > > Regards.

    > Some other documentation is out there ?

    I recommend you read this page:
    http://tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/x892.html
    very good example about kernel module and how to use ioctrl() to
    interact with device file

+ Reply to Thread