Finding info on writing virtual machines - Unix

This is a discussion on Finding info on writing virtual machines - Unix ; I've recently stated to get interested in writing a virtual machine under Linux on an X86 in C++. So far I have managed to write a proof of concept program (the concept being that I can do this) with sixteen ...

  1. Finding info on writing virtual machines

    I've recently stated to get interested in writing a virtual machine
    under Linux on an X86 in C++.

    So far I have managed to write a proof of concept program (the concept
    being that I can do this)
    with sixteen instructions that can only deal with whole numbers from 0
    through to 255 as its I/O
    and has no concept of stack at all.

    Could some one please tell me where I can find information on writing
    a full virtual machine?
    I want it at the point where I can implement a small kernel / over
    blown boot loader.

  2. Re: Finding info on writing virtual machines

    RyanMcCoskrie writes:
    >I've recently stated to get interested in writing a virtual machine
    >under Linux on an X86 in C++.
    >
    >So far I have managed to write a proof of concept program (the concept
    >being that I can do this)
    >with sixteen instructions that can only deal with whole numbers from 0
    >through to 255 as its I/O
    >and has no concept of stack at all.
    >
    >Could some one please tell me where I can find information on writing
    >a full virtual machine?
    >I want it at the point where I can implement a small kernel / over
    >blown boot loader.

    google "Bochs" and "Qemu" - source is available.

    google 'SimNow!' - source is unavailable.

    BTW - You're writing a simulator/emulator, not a virtual machine.

    scott

  3. Re: Finding info on writing virtual machines

    If you really mean "virtual machine", perhaps you should take a look
    at Apoo (google "apoo virtual"). Unfortunately it's written in python,
    but there's probably a lot ofn information you'll find useful, as it
    is intended as coursework for writing a virtual machine.

    Cheers,
    Tom

    On Sep 10, 2:31*am, RyanMcCoskrie wrote:
    > I've recently stated to get interested in writing a virtual machine
    > under Linux on an X86 in C++.
    >
    > So far I have managed to write a proof of concept program (the concept
    > being that I can do this)
    > with sixteen instructions that can only deal with whole numbers from 0
    > through to 255 as its I/O
    > and has no concept of stack at all.
    >
    > Could some one please tell me where I can find information on writing
    > a full virtual machine?
    > I want it at the point where I can implement a small kernel / over
    > blown boot loader.

+ Reply to Thread