Update cause system to restart - Unix

This is a discussion on Update cause system to restart - Unix ; Hello, I had earlier postings about problems I faced with with Solaris U5-X86 with PIII systems. I think installing version 11/06 is successfull more than version 05/08(U5) . But I faced an update downloaded with the updates to the system ...

  1. Update cause system to restart

    Hello,
    I had earlier postings about problems I faced with with Solaris U5-X86
    with PIII systems. I think installing version 11/06 is successfull
    more than version 05/08(U5) . But I faced an update downloaded with
    the updates to the system cause the system to restart and have error
    messages I could not see becuase of the quick they appear.
    Please I need to know which update cause the machine to restart itself
    to not download it .
    Thanks

  2. Re: Update cause system to restart

    [follow-up's adjusted]

    In article ,
    happytoday wrote:
    >I had earlier postings about problems I faced with with Solaris U5-X86
    >with PIII systems. I think installing version 11/06 is successfull
    >more than version 05/08(U5) . But I faced an update downloaded with
    >the updates to the system cause the system to restart and have error
    >messages I could not see becuase of the quick they appear.
    >Please I need to know which update cause the machine to restart itself
    >to not download it .

    Apply the recommended update but add this line to /etc/system:
    set cmi_no_init=1

    Alternatively, skip Solaris 10 and install the current Solaris
    Express which doesn't include this bug and is more friendly to new
    users.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Update cause system to restart

    On Sep 6, 7:25*am, happytoday wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I had earlier postings about problems I faced with with Solaris U5-X86
    > with PIII systems. I think installing version 11/06 is successfull
    > more than version 05/08(U5) . But I faced an update downloaded with
    > the updates to the system cause the system to restart and have error
    > messages I could not see becuase of the quick they appear.
    > Please I need to know which update cause the machine to restart itself
    > to not download it .
    > Thanks

    not sure it's that case but -

    if you had U3 (11/06) and have upgraded to U5 (05/08) - obviously the
    patchset included 120012-14 KU patch - that Solaris10 U4. Actually,
    this patch requires mandatory reboot of the server to avoid some bugs.
    it's just my assumption of that case.

  4. Re: Update cause system to restart

    On Sep 8, 11:24*pm, ndjilinski wrote:
    > On Sep 6, 7:25*am, happytoday wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I had earlier postings about problems I faced with with Solaris U5-X86
    > > with PIII systems. I think installing version 11/06 is successfull
    > > more than version 05/08(U5) . But I faced an update downloaded with
    > > the updates to the system cause the system to restart and have error
    > > messages I could not see becuase of the quick they appear.
    > > Please I need to know which update cause the machine to restart itself
    > > to not download it .
    > > Thanks

    > not sure it's that case but -
    >
    > if you had U3 (11/06) and have upgraded to U5 (05/08) - obviously the
    > patchset included 120012-14 KU patch - that Solaris10 U4. Actually,
    > this patch requires mandatory reboot of the server to avoid some bugs.
    > it's just my assumption of that case.

    You mean to download that update or not 120012-14 ??

+ Reply to Thread