tar and move - Unix

This is a discussion on tar and move - Unix ; I am trying to tar a directory and move it from one file system then untarring it in one command. Any hints. Thanks...

  1. tar and move

    I am trying to tar a directory and move it from one file system then
    untarring it in one command.

    Any hints.
    Thanks

  2. Re: tar and move

    rogv schreef:
    > I am trying to tar a directory and move it from one file system then
    > untarring it in one command.
    >
    > Any hints.
    > Thanks

    within 5 mins, google revealed:
    http://ultra.ap.krakow.pl/~bar/DOC/ssh_backup.html

    which shows how to do it through SSH,
    maybe you can change it to do it from one filesystem to the other locally ?

    --
    Luuk

  3. Re: tar and move

    rogv writes:

    > I am trying to tar a directory and move it from one file system then
    > untarring it in one command.

    Any reason mv wouldn't do what you want? It works on directories.

    cd / ; mv /mnt/blah/directory /mnt/new/directory

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/