Using refresh() with ncurses - Unix

This is a discussion on Using refresh() with ncurses - Unix ; Hi In the refresh() man page it says this routine must be called to get output to stdscr. However with Linux and FreeBSD mvprintw, addch etc all seem to write immediately to the terminal without refresh() needing to be called. ...

  1. Using refresh() with ncurses

    Hi

    In the refresh() man page it says this routine must be called to get
    output to stdscr. However with Linux and FreeBSD mvprintw, addch etc
    all seem to write immediately to the terminal without refresh()
    needing to be called. Is this new behavior from ncurses or is this
    just the way the GNU implementation behaves and is non-portable
    behaviour?

    B2003

  2. Re: Using refresh() with ncurses

    Boltar wrote:

    > In the refresh() man page it says this routine must be called to get
    > output to stdscr. However with Linux and FreeBSD mvprintw, addch etc
    > all seem to write immediately to the terminal without refresh()
    > needing to be called.

    Maybe you are using some other function that does an implicit refresh(),
    like getch().

    --
    Huibert
    "Okay... really not something I needed to see." --Raven

  3. Re: Using refresh() with ncurses

    On 24 Aug, 20:21, Huibert Bol wrote:
    > Boltar wrote:
    > > In the refresh() man page it says this routine must be called to get
    > > output to stdscr. However with Linux and FreeBSD mvprintw, addch etc
    > > all seem to write immediately to the terminal without refresh()
    > > needing to be called.

    > Maybe you are using some other function that does an implicit refresh(),
    > like getch().

    Yes , I am using getch(). That would explain it - I didn't realise it
    did a refresh().

    Thanks for clearing that up.

    B2003

+ Reply to Thread