file transfer protocol - Unix

This is a discussion on file transfer protocol - Unix ; I want to develop a file transfer protocol(similar to FTP). Can anyone give me a link to the algorithm of FTP ??? I hope I will use UDP for transport layer protocol. I want to know should I implement synchronization ...

  1. file transfer protocol

    I want to develop a file transfer protocol(similar to FTP).
    Can anyone give me a link to the algorithm of FTP ???

    I hope I will use UDP for transport layer protocol. I want to know
    should I implement synchronization among apacket(to avoid out of order
    and duplication of packets) at application layer ??

    What is the optimal size of UDP packet should be ??

  2. Re: file transfer protocol

    asit writes:

    > I want to develop a file transfer protocol(similar to FTP).
    > Can anyone give me a link to the algorithm of FTP ???

    See RFC959.

    > I hope I will use UDP for transport layer protocol. I want to know

    Sounds like TFTP.

    > should I implement synchronization among apacket(to avoid out of order
    > and duplication of packets) at application layer ??

    Is there another option?

    > What is the optimal size of UDP packet should be ??

    That depends.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: file transfer protocol

    On Aug 23, 9:28 pm, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > asit writes:
    > > I want to develop a file transfer protocol(similar to FTP).
    > > Can anyone give me a link to the algorithm of FTP ???

    > See RFC959.

    It's very tough....I m a newbie....please give me a better link.

    > > I hope I will use UDP for transport layer protocol. I want to know

    > Sounds like TFTP.

    what is the difference between TFTP and FTP ???

    > > should I implement synchronization among apacket(to avoid out of order
    > > and duplication of packets) at application layer ??

    > Is there another option?

    I didn't get you.

    > > What is the optimal size of UDP packet should be ??

    > That depends.

    Please tell me upon which factors it depends ???

  4. Re: file transfer protocol

    asit writes:

    > On Aug 23, 9:28 pm, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> asit writes:
    >> > I want to develop a file transfer protocol(similar to FTP).
    >> > Can anyone give me a link to the algorithm of FTP ???

    >> See RFC959.

    > It's very tough....I m a newbie....please give me a better link.

    Sorry, I don't have one.

    >> > I hope I will use UDP for transport layer protocol. I want to know

    >> Sounds like TFTP.
    >>

    > what is the difference between TFTP and FTP ???

    TFTP is RFC1350. It is a simpler protocol than FTP, and uses UDP.

    >> > should I implement synchronization among apacket(to avoid out of order
    >> > and duplication of packets) at application layer ??

    >> Is there another option?
    >>

    > I didn't get you.

    If you don't do it, nobody will. This means that if you don't do it,
    you risk getting corrupted files.

    >> > What is the optimal size of UDP packet should be ??

    >> That depends.
    >>

    > Please tell me upon which factors it depends ???

    Mostly network parameters, such as speed, latency, etc.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  5. Re: file transfer protocol

    asit wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 9:28 pm, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> asit writes:
    >>> I want to develop a file transfer protocol(similar to FTP).
    >>> Can anyone give me a link to the algorithm of FTP ???

    >> See RFC959.

    > It's very tough....I m a newbie....please give me a better link.

    www.google.com

  6. Re: file transfer protocol

    In article ,
    Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > asit writes:

    > >> Is there another option?
    > >>

    > > I didn't get you.

    > If you don't do it, nobody will. This means that if you don't do it,
    > you risk getting corrupted files.

    To elaborate, since UDP doesn't provide any synchronization mechanism in
    the transport layer, it has to be done in the application layer.

    You could make use of a library that implements it for you, though, such
    as RPC.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  7. Re: file transfer protocol

    > >> See RFC959.
    > > It's very tough....I m a newbie....please give me a better link.

    > Sorry, I don't have one.

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/

  8. Re: file transfer protocol

    > >> See RFC959.
    > > It's very tough....I m a newbie....please give me a better link.

    > Sorry, I don't have one.

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/

  9. Re: file transfer protocol

    asit wrote:

    > I hope I will use UDP for transport layer protocol.

    > I want to know
    > should I implement synchronization among apacket(to avoid out of order
    > and duplication of packets) at application layer ??

    If you have decided to write a UDP application, you must have already
    done some study to make that decision. You must already be aware of the
    strengths and limitations of that protocol, and should already know that you
    need to handle the above from within your application, because it is a
    connectionless protocol.

    Why don't you want to use TCP transport?

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  10. Re: file transfer protocol

    On Aug 24, 4:34 am, markhob...@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark
    Hobley) wrote:
    > asit wrote:
    > > I hope I will use UDP for transport layer protocol.
    > > I want to know
    > > should I implement synchronization among apacket(to avoid out of order
    > > and duplication of packets) at application layer ??

    > If you have decided to write a UDP application, you must have already
    > done some study to make that decision. You must already be aware of the
    > strengths and limitations of that protocol, and should already know that you
    > need to handle the above from within your application, because it is a
    > connectionless protocol.
    >
    > Why don't you want to use TCP transport?
    >
    > Mark.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Hobley,
    > 393 Quinton Road West,
    > Quinton, BIRMINGHAM.
    > B32 1QE.

    FTP uses which protocol , TCP or UDP ???

  11. Re: file transfer protocol

    In article
    <5c4d841b-c598-4d81-a280-bc6158ea9837@a8g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    asit wrote:

    > On Aug 24, 4:34 am, markhob...@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark
    > Hobley) wrote:
    > > asit wrote:
    > > > I hope I will use UDP for transport layer protocol.
    > > > I want to know
    > > > should I implement synchronization among apacket(to avoid out of order
    > > > and duplication of packets) at application layer ??

    > > If you have decided to write a UDP application, you must have already
    > > done some study to make that decision. You must already be aware of the
    > > strengths and limitations of that protocol, and should already know that you
    > > need to handle the above from within your application, because it is a
    > > connectionless protocol.
    > >
    > > Why don't you want to use TCP transport?

    > FTP uses which protocol , TCP or UDP ???

    FTP uses TCP. Why don't you read the RFC that someone already pointed
    you to?

    If you can't understand RFCs, I don't think you're ready to be designing
    a new protocol. In fact, when you ask such basic questions as you do,
    I'm pretty sure you're not experienced enough for this. Why don't you
    just use existing file transfer applications, like FTP or TFTP, instead
    of writing one yourself?