change console prompt - Unix

This is a discussion on change console prompt - Unix ; I use backtrack 3.0 beta. My console prompt shows like this.. bt ~ # I want to change it to my ip address and user name..like this lipu@192.168.1.189 ~ # Thanx...

  1. change console prompt

    I use backtrack 3.0 beta.
    My console prompt shows like this..
    bt ~ #

    I want to change it to my ip address and user name..like this

    lipu@192.168.1.189 ~ #

    Thanx

  2. Re: change console prompt

    asit wrote:
    > I use backtrack 3.0 beta.
    > My console prompt shows like this..
    > bt ~ #
    >
    > I want to change it to my ip address and user name..like this
    >
    > lipu@192.168.1.189 ~ #

    Whatever backtrack is, it seems to some sort of a shell and as such yu may
    get better answers in comp.unix.shell.
    Most shells use the environment variable PS1 for the prompt. Check your
    documentation whether backtrack does too.

    Bye, Jojo

  3. Re: change console prompt

    On 23 Ago, 16:33, asit wrote:
    > I use backtrack 3.0 beta.
    > My console prompt shows like this..
    > bt ~ #
    >
    > I want to change it to my ip address and user name..like this
    >
    > l...@192.168.1.189 ~ #
    >
    > Thanx

    You're offtopic... anyway: man bash

    s.

  4. Re: change console prompt

    On Aug 23, 8:31 pm, Sergio Perticone wrote:
    > On 23 Ago, 16:33, asit wrote:
    >
    > > I use backtrack 3.0 beta.
    > > My console prompt shows like this..
    > > bt ~ #

    > > I want to change it to my ip address and user name..like this

    > > l...@192.168.1.189 ~ #

    > > Thanx

    > You're offtopic... anyway: man bash
    >
    > s.

    man bash is similar to oxford dictionary...it will take at least one
    week to solve this problem...

  5. Re: change console prompt

    On Aug 23, 12:18 pm, asit wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 8:31 pm, Sergio Perticone wrote:
    >
    > > On 23 Ago, 16:33, asit wrote:

    > > > I use backtrack 3.0 beta.
    > > > My console prompt shows like this..
    > > > bt ~ #

    > > > I want to change it to my ip address and user name..like this

    > > > l...@192.168.1.189 ~ #

    > > > Thanx

    > > You're offtopic... anyway: man bash

    > > s.

    > man bash is similar to oxford dictionary...it will take at least one
    > week to solve this problem...

    http://www.funtoo.org/en/articles/linux/tips/prompt/
    http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/howtos/...-HOWTO-12.html

    Kevin P. Barry

  6. Re: change console prompt

    On 23 Ago, 18:18, asit wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 8:31 pm, Sergio Perticone wrote:
    >
    > > On 23 Ago, 16:33, asit wrote:

    > > > I use backtrack 3.0 beta.
    > > > My console prompt shows like this..
    > > > bt ~ #

    > > > I want to change it to my ip address and user name..like this

    > > > l...@192.168.1.189 ~ #

    > > > Thanx

    > > You're offtopic... anyway: man bash

    > > s.

    > man bash is similar to oxford dictionary...it will take at least one
    > week to solve this problem...

    I hope when you search for a word within oxford dictionary you don't
    read it from begin!
    Hint: Search for PROMPT.

    s.

+ Reply to Thread