Apache modules vs. FastCGI - Unix

This is a discussion on Apache modules vs. FastCGI - Unix ; I am trying to decide what would be better to use to process HTTP requests that require heavy computation and send back to client large amount of data in HTTP payload. As far as I understand using putting a request ...

  1. Apache modules vs. FastCGI

    I am trying to decide what would be better to use to process HTTP
    requests that require heavy computation and send back to client large
    amount of data in HTTP payload. As far as I understand using putting a
    request handler in Apache module incurs less overhead vs. FastCGI app
    as there is no socket connection between Apache in FastCGI app. Is
    this fair assessment? Would I see any noticeable improvement in
    transfer speed when using request handler in Apache module then
    servicing request from FastCGI app? Any drawbacks of Apache modules
    vs. FastCGI? The platform is Solaris.

  2. Re: Apache modules vs. FastCGI

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:17:07 -0700 (PDT), Sasha wrote:
    [...]
    > servicing request from FastCGI app? Any drawbacks of Apache modules
    > vs. FastCGI? The platform is Solaris.

    There are a few things to consider here:

    - using Apache modules can restrict the MPMs you can use (e.g. if the Apache
    module is not thread-safe you can't use a threaded MPM).

    processes - this won't be a problem if all requests are handled by the
    Apache module, but if Apache is also handling a significant number of
    requests for static content, the Apache processes serving these requests
    also (unnecessarily) carry the additional baggage of your Apache module

    - which user should your processing be run as?

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

  3. Re: Apache modules vs. FastCGI

    On Aug 22, 7:33*pm, Christof Meerwald +uy...@usenet.cmeerw.org> wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:17:07 -0700 (PDT), Sasha wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > servicing request from FastCGI app? Any drawbacks of Apache modules
    > > vs. FastCGI? The platform is Solaris.

    > There are a few things to consider here:
    >
    > - using Apache modules can restrict the MPMs you can use (e.g. if the Apache
    > module is not thread-safe you can't use a threaded MPM).

    > processes - this won't be a problem if all requests are handled by the
    > Apache module, but if Apache is also handling a significant number of
    > requests for static content, the Apache processes serving these requests
    > also (unnecessarily) carry the additional baggage of your Apache module
    >
    > - which user should your processing be run as?
    >
    > Christof
    >
    > --http://cmeerw.org* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    > mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org * * * * * * * * * xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

    I am particularly interested in transfer speed. Does servicing HTTP
    request with request handler in Apache modules provide significantly
    higher rate of data transfer back to client then doing this through
    FastCGI app?

+ Reply to Thread