Memory hog by running multiple instances of same executable - Unix

This is a discussion on Memory hog by running multiple instances of same executable - Unix ; Hello, We have a multithreaded server process which runs during Day time. Process is quite heavy in size of (20MB) and listen on some assigned port. We are running some 90 instances of this process on server which is Solaris ...

  1. Memory hog by running multiple instances of same executable

    Hello,

    We have a multithreaded server process which runs during Day time.
    Process is quite heavy in size of (20MB) and listen on some assigned
    port.
    We are running some 90 instances of this process on server which is
    Solaris server and has 16 CPU's , 8GB of RAM and 20 GB of swap space.
    We are not using single excutable for all these instances of server
    Rather there is seprate copy of execuable file which is running.
    This is because we have observerd that running multiple instances of
    same executable results in memory hog.

    Could anybody tell me reason?
    I tried searching on google and only found that all these servers will
    be sharing single Text section.
    Process is doing lot of socket communication hence I/O load is heavy
    but C.P.U usage is not high. It spikes to 60% max during peak period.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Memory hog by running multiple instances of same executable

    Teddy writes:

    > We have a multithreaded server process which runs during Day time.

    Please learn to cross-post, instead of multi-posting.
    Some answers in c.u.internals.

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

+ Reply to Thread