Pointer: Foiling spam and other procmail email-filter tips
The gentle readers processing their email on a Unix-system, or
getting their email through a Unix-based system, might be interested
in the following information.
Timo's procmail tips and recipes
Last-Modified: Sat 26-Apr-2008 07:32:42
1. I want to filter my email automatically. How do I get started
2. Building a testbench. How can I test individual procmail
3. I know how to make "and" rules in procmail recipes, but how do I
make "or" rules?
4. How can one perform multiple shell commands on the action line?
5. How can I find out what the subject of a posting is?
6. How do I get a copy of the headers of all the incoming email
into a separate file?
7. Would you give some further hints for spam foiling recipes?
8. I have limited disk space. How can I truncate long messages?
9. How can I quickly test if my rules with regular expressions
10. How can I detect if the email comes, say, from the .com domain?
11. What alternatives do I have to detect a sender all through the
12. How can I extract a valid address from the Reply-To field?
13. How can I extract the address of the sender's postmaster?
14. How can I weed out an inordinately long recipient list?
15. What is this procmail scoring? How can I utilize it?
16. How can I test if the subject is empty or if the subject field
is missing altogether?
17. How can I modify the "To:" field of the email I received?
18. I have a long list of spammers in a separate file. How can I
19. How do I forward certain messages that I get, and preserve
myself a copy?
20. How do I forward certain messages to two different addresses?
21. How do I automatically return certain email messages?
22. My address has changed. How do I forward a copy to myself and
tell the sender?
23. How can I set variable values based on the text in the body of
the email message?
24. How can I insert some token text in front of the body of
25. Do you have any useful tips for regular expression matching?
26. How can I test if two procmail variables have the same contents?
27. I am having difficulties with "<". How does one match it?
28. How can I insert identification text to the beginning of the
29. I tried out your tips, but some of them failed on my system.
30. Is there a cure for the echo and grep blues?
31. How do I know which of my many procmail recipes has been
32. How can I detect Korean, Cyrillic, or Chinese to avoid such
33. How can I change the subject line and include part of the message
body to it?
34. How can I remove the signature from the incoming email?
35. What unix manuals relating to procmail should I get?
36. Is it possible to use procmail to call the vacation program?
37. How can I avoid duplicate messages sent in rapid succession?
38. How can I skip logging a certain, matched recipe?
39. Could you please solve for me this procmail problem of mine?
40. I liked this material. Do you have anything else on programming?
42. Acknowledgements for useful advice and/or feedback
All the best, Timo
Prof. Timo Salmi ftp & [url]http://garbo.uwasa.fi/[/url] archives 126.96.36.199
Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org <http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/> ; FI-65101, Finland
Digital photos collection at [url]http://www.uwasa.fi/ktt/lasktoim/photo/[/url]