    use??

    thanks,

  2. Re: how to login to unix machine from a linux box

    On 2008-08-13, vtcad wrote:

    > I'm having trouble logging into a unix machine from my linux box, I
    > can ping the unix machine so I know its alive. I've used the ssh -X
    > root@XXXX before to login to other linux boxes, but this doesn't seem
    > to work for accessing a unix box. Any suggestions on what command to
    > use??

    Try ssh with the -v option (verbose) and post the last 10 or so lines
    that you get.

    --
    Do not use _literally_ to intensify a metaphorical exaggeration.
    People in a famine relief camp may be _literally_ starving, but

  3. Re: how to login to unix machine from a linux box

    vtcad wrote:
    > I'm having trouble logging into a unix machine from my linux box, I
    > can ping the unix machine so I know its alive. I've used the ssh -X
    > root@XXXX before to login to other linux boxes, but this doesn't seem
    > to work for accessing a unix box. Any suggestions on what command to
    > use??

    What means "doesn't seem to work"? There could be several
    things that lead to failure. e.g.

    a) There's no ssh daemon running on the remote machine
    b) There might be a firewall in between that blocks con-
    nections to port 22
    c) remote root logins may not be allowed on the remote
    machine
    Regards, Jens

  4. Re: how to login to unix machine from a linux box

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 06:45:40 -0700 (PDT),
    vtcad wrote:
    > I'm having trouble logging into a unix machine from my linux box, I
    > can ping the unix machine so I know its alive. I've used the ssh -X
    > root@XXXX before to login to other linux boxes, but this doesn't seem
    > to work for accessing a unix box. Any suggestions on what command to
    > use??

    Of course it's totally k-rad fancy cool for the beginning user with
    his own linux box to login and do everything as root.

    This, however, is bad practice; it's unnecessairy and dangerous. Of course
    every windows user on his own windows machine does everything with admin
    rights too, but we all know about the gigantic botnets Out There. Had all
    those users done the sensible thing and given themselves two accounts: one
    to use, and a separate one with a (different) password, and admin rights
    only to be used when strictly necessairy, then all that malware would have
    had a manifold harder time gaining any foothold.

    So, don't do that. Use your own user account and use su or sudo to gain
    root if and only if you need it. In fact, any sensible unix and linux
    distribution comes with its sshd defaults set to disallow logging in as
    root. If you insist you now also know where to look to enable this, but
    you can't say you haven't been warned of possible dire consequences.

  5. Re: how to login to unix machine from a linux box

    In <2172cca5-6f9d-4847-a503-86fab802150d@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com> vtcad writes:

    > I'm having trouble logging into a unix machine from my linux box, I
    > can ping the unix machine so I know its alive. I've used the ssh -X
    > root@XXXX before to login to other linux boxes, but this doesn't seem
    > to work for accessing a unix box. Any suggestions on what command to
    > use??

    Try logging in as someone other than root. Some systems specifically
    disable remote root logins for security reasons.

    P.S.: When posting a technical question like this, it's best to provide
    a more detailed description of the problem than just saying "it doesn't
    work." What happens *exactly*? Does the action eventually time out, or
    do you see any error messages?

  6. Re: how to login to unix machine from a linux box

    On 2008-08-13, jpd wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 06:45:40 -0700 (PDT),
    > vtcad wrote:
    >> I'm having trouble logging into a unix machine from my linux box, I
    >> can ping the unix machine so I know its alive. I've used the ssh -X
    >> root@XXXX before to login to other linux boxes, but this doesn't seem
    >> to work for accessing a unix box. Any suggestions on what command to
    >> use??

    > Of course it's totally k-rad fancy cool for the beginning user with
    > his own linux box to login and do everything as root.
    >
    > This, however, is bad practice; it's unnecessairy and dangerous.

    Right. The unix machine (and certainly should, although it's not the
    default setting) may have "PermitRootLogin no" in the sshd_config
    file.

    --
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to
    chance. [Robert R. Coveyou]

+ Reply to Thread