wait4 - Unix

This is a discussion on wait4 - Unix ; Hi, as wait4 has been discontinued, what is the new 1003.1 or alternate standard interface to get the resource usage of a child process after it has terminated and waited for? Any ideas or pointers? TIA, Thomas...

  1. wait4

    Hi,

    as wait4 has been discontinued, what is the new 1003.1 or alternate
    standard interface to get the resource usage of a child process after it
    has terminated and waited for?

    Any ideas or pointers?

    TIA,
    Thomas

  2. Re: wait4

    On Aug 6, 2:09 am, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > as wait4 has been discontinued, what is the new 1003.1 or alternate
    > standard interface to get the resource usage of a child process after it
    > has terminated and waited for?

    In what sense has it been "discontinued"? It certainly seems to still
    be widely available, even if not standard. I'd be surprised if any
    system which now provides it ever stops.

    It doesn't look to me like 1003.1 provides a direct equivalent. There
    is getrusage(RUSAGE_CHILDREN,...) but that isn't quite the same,
    because it can't distinguish the usage of different children.
    Searching for "rusage" in the spec doesn't give any other hits.

+ Reply to Thread