Resources on networking - Unix

This is a discussion on Resources on networking - Unix ; Hi, I've been searching for an intro on networking in UNIX. I've found a paper called "An Introductory 4.4BSD Interprocess Communication Tutorial" ( http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/psd/20.ipctut/paper.pdf ). It's been helpful, but it seems like it's outdated. For example, it passes a pointer ...

  1. Resources on networking

    Hi,

    I've been searching for an intro on networking in UNIX. I've found a
    paper called "An Introductory 4.4BSD Interprocess Communication
    Tutorial" ( http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/psd/20.ipctut/paper.pdf ).
    It's been helpful, but it seems like it's outdated. For example, it
    passes a pointer to a sockaddr_in structure as the second argument to
    the connect() function, but when a see the manpage, it actually takes
    a sockaddr structure pointer. Or it uses functions like bcopy(), which
    the manpages document as deprecated.

    So, is this document outdated? Can anyone point me to resources that
    can help me get some work done?

    Thanks,
    Sebastian

  2. Re: Resources on networking

    A well respected site: http://www.beej.us/guide/bgnet/

    --
    Chris.

  3. Re: Resources on networking

    You might consider obtaining a copy of "Unix Network Programming"
    (Third Edition IIRC) by Stevens, Fenner and Rudoff.

    rick jones

  4. Re: Resources on networking

    Thanks for the quick responses!

    Sebastian

  5. Re: Resources on networking

    On Aug 6, 7:36*am, s0s...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been searching for an intro on networking in UNIX. I've found a
    > paper called "An Introductory 4.4BSD Interprocess Communication
    > Tutorial" (http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/psd/20.ipctut/paper.pdf).
    > It's been helpful, but it seems like it's outdated. For example, it
    > passes a pointer to a sockaddr_in structure as the second argument to
    > the connect() function, but when a see the manpage, it actually takes
    > a sockaddr structure pointer. Or it uses functions like bcopy(), which
    > the manpages document as deprecated.
    >
    > So, is this document outdated? Can anyone point me to resources that
    > can help me get some work done?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sebastian

    If you need more detailed information: