Re: Multicast not working in linux. - Unix

This is a discussion on Re: Multicast not working in linux. - Unix ; Check your kernel build. Is multicast even built in to your kernel? If not, no amount of fiddling will help. On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 21:21 -0700, rashmisingh02@hotmail.com wrote: > I have created a multicast application. This works fine on windows ...

  1. Re: Multicast not working in linux.

    Check your kernel build. Is multicast even built in to your kernel? If
    not, no amount of fiddling will help.

    On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 21:21 -0700, rashmisingh02@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I have created a multicast application. This works fine on windows
    > but
    > it fails on linux. On linux machine "sendto" API in multicast client
    > application throws "Invalid argument" .
    >
    > I have used
    > 1)getaddrinfo(0 , then socket(), then setsockopt() to set TTL (value
    > is 1) of multicast packet, and then I used sendto().
    > 2)multicast IP address is FF02::1
    >

    > I tried to specify scope_id as follows to resolve this issue but it
    > didnt work
    > 1)multicast IP address is FF02::1%
    > 2)multicast IP address is FF02::1%
    > 3)multicast IP address is FF02::1 and specified scope_id as follows
    > ((struct sockaddr_in6 *) (mcastaddr->ai_addr))->sin6_scope_id=3 ;
    >

    > Please help.

  2. Re: Multicast not working in linux.

    On Aug 5, 3:36*pm, Raphael Mankin wrote:
    > Check your kernel build. Is multicast even built in to your kernel? If
    > not, no amount of fiddling will help.
    >

    > On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 21:21 -0700, rashmising...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > I have created a multicast application. This works fine on windows
    > > but
    > > it fails on linux. On linux machine "sendto" API in multicast client
    > > application throws "Invalid argument" .

    > > I have used
    > > 1)getaddrinfo(0 , *then socket(), then setsockopt() to set TTL (value
    > > is 1) of multicast packet, and then I used sendto().
    > > 2)multicast IP address is FF02::1

    > > I tried to specify scope_id *as follows to resolve this issue but it
    > > didnt work
    > > 1)multicast IP address is FF02::1%
    > > 2)multicast IP address is FF02::1%
    > > 3)multicast IP address is FF02::1 and specified scope_id as follows
    > > ((struct sockaddr_in6 *) (mcastaddr->ai_addr))->sin6_scope_id=3 ;

    > > Please help.- Hide quoted text -

    I have confirmed that kernel is IPv6 ready . Also "ifconfig" command
    shows that "UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST".

    Please let me know if there is any other to check if multicast is
    built into the kernel.

+ Reply to Thread