server address and port - Unix

This is a discussion on server address and port - Unix ; testing my web server under BSD i have used my_addr.sin_family = AF_INET; /* IPv4 address */ my_addr.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY); /* all addresses */ my_addr.sin_port = htons(SRV_PORT); /* SRV_PORT, network order */ to set the address of webserver and its port. ...

  1. server address and port

    testing my web server under BSD i have used
    my_addr.sin_family = AF_INET; /* IPv4 address */
    my_addr.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY); /* all addresses */
    my_addr.sin_port = htons(SRV_PORT); /* SRV_PORT, network order */
    to set the address of webserver and its port.
    now i would initialize the address and the port number in the prompt
    command of my webserver
    like
    ./webserver 127.0.0.1 8080.
    i receive these parameter from the main but when i try to use them
    into my_addr and i try to bind the bind function returns an error.how
    i can do that?
    thanks

  2. Re: server address and port

    In article
    ,
    Mr_John wrote:

    > testing my web server under BSD i have used
    > my_addr.sin_family = AF_INET; /* IPv4 address */
    > my_addr.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY); /* all addresses */
    > my_addr.sin_port = htons(SRV_PORT); /* SRV_PORT, network order */
    > to set the address of webserver and its port.
    > now i would initialize the address and the port number in the prompt
    > command of my webserver
    > like
    > ./webserver 127.0.0.1 8080.
    > i receive these parameter from the main but when i try to use them
    > into my_addr and i try to bind the bind function returns an error.how
    > i can do that?
    > thanks

    Can you show your code? Are you using inet_addr() to convert
    "127.0.0.1" into an address?

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: server address and port

    > Can you show your code? *Are you using inet_addr() to convert
    > "127.0.0.1" into an address?

    i was using
    serv_add.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(atoi(argv[1]);
    now i've tried inet_addr() and it works.but i have another question to
    give u: i see that i can use just the 127.0.0.1 address if i use
    another address it can't bind.can u tell me why?
    thanks

  4. Re: server address and port

    >> Can you show your code? *Are you using inet_addr() to convert
    >> "127.0.0.1" into an address?
    >>

    >i was using
    >serv_add.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(atoi(argv[1]);
    >now i've tried inet_addr() and it works.but i have another question to
    >give u: i see that i can use just the 127.0.0.1 address if i use
    >another address it can't bind.can u tell me why?

    You can only bind to an IP address of an interface on your system,
    as distinguished from just making one up.

  5. Re: server address and port

    thanks a lot i got now.thanks

+ Reply to Thread