gdbm or berkeley DB? and C++ interface - Unix

This is a discussion on gdbm or berkeley DB? and C++ interface - Unix ; Hi, I am considering using a Unix DBM in my project, which is a application in embedded Linux. Would you give me suggesion about choice gdbm or berkeley DB? Another more important, is there any C++ interface for these dbm's? ...

  1. gdbm or berkeley DB? and C++ interface

    Hi,

    I am considering using a Unix DBM in my project, which is a
    application in embedded Linux. Would you give me suggesion about
    choice gdbm or berkeley DB?

    Another more important, is there any C++ interface for these dbm's?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: gdbm or berkeley DB? and C++ interface

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:40:03 -0700 (PDT), Steven Woody wrote:
    > I am considering using a Unix DBM in my project, which is a
    > application in embedded Linux. Would you give me suggesion about
    > choice gdbm or berkeley DB?

    By default, I would go with SQLite (http://www.sqlite.org) - I think there
    are several C++ interfaces for SQLite available.

    Do you have any special requirements why you would think that gdbm or
    berkeley DB might be preferable?

    Also note that all of these libraries have different license implications.

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

  3. Re: gdbm or berkeley DB? and C++ interface

    Hi,

    I think if possible dont go with legacy...

    -Raxit
    On Jun 26, 10:40*am, Steven Woody wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am considering using a Unix DBM in my project, which is a
    > application in embedded Linux. *Would you give me suggesion about
    > choice gdbm or berkeley DB?
    >
    > Another more important, is there any C++ interface for these dbm's?
    > Thanks.

  4. Re: gdbm or berkeley DB? and C++ interface

    On Jun 27, 12:34 am, Christof Meerwald +us...@usenet.cmeerw.org> wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:40:03 -0700 (PDT), Steven Woody wrote:
    > > I am considering using a Unix DBM in my project, which is a
    > > application in embedded Linux. Would you give me suggesion about
    > > choicegdbmor berkeley DB?

    > By default, I would go with SQLite (http://www.sqlite.org) - I think there
    > are severalC++interfaces for SQLite available.
    >
    > Do you have any special requirements why you would think thatgdbmor
    > berkeley DB might be preferable?
    >
    > Also note that all of these libraries have different license implications.
    >
    > Christof
    >
    > --http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    > mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

    Hi,

    I am also considering SQLite as you said. But I am afraid that SQLite
    is not as lightweight as gdbm/udb/bde, doesn't it? And, I only need
    to store/retrieve/delete some simple data, so I thought I should not
    go bother with SQL-Language. Any opinion?

  5. Re: gdbm or berkeley DB? and C++ interface

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:36:09 -0700 (PDT), Steven Woody wrote:
    > On Jun 27, 12:34 am, Christof Meerwald > +us...@usenet.cmeerw.org> wrote:
    >> By default, I would go with SQLite (http://www.sqlite.org) - I think there
    >> are severalC++interfaces for SQLite available.

    > I am also considering SQLite as you said. But I am afraid that SQLite
    > is not as lightweight as gdbm/udb/bde, doesn't it? And, I only need
    > to store/retrieve/delete some simple data, so I thought I should not
    > go bother with SQL-Language. Any opinion?

    Looking just at the shared library sizes on my Linux box, SQLite is more
    lightweight than Berkeley DB 4.x (of course, gdbm is much more lightweight
    than both others).

    If you are extremely worried about performance (particularly update
    performance with data integrity) then go with Berkeley DB. If SQLite is
    leightweight enough for you, then go with SQLite as it is by far the most
    convenient option (the SQL shell is very convenient for debugging etc. and
    the database file format is quite stable across versions).

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

+ Reply to Thread