How to increase number of bash history lines? - Unix

This is a discussion on How to increase number of bash history lines? - Unix ; When I enter ls -la in bash shell then approx 500 files are displayed very fast. When I try to scroll back in the terminal window only the last approx 100 are available. How can I increase the number of ...

  1. How to increase number of bash history lines?

    When I enter

    ls -la

    in bash shell then approx 500 files are displayed very fast. When I try to
    scroll back in the terminal window only the last approx 100 are available.

    How can I increase the number of stored bash history lines?

    No, I don't want to use "more" I want to have all output lines available forth and back.

    Jochen

  2. Re: How to increase number of bash history lines?

    On 2008-06-02, Jochen Berninger wrote:
    > When I enter
    >
    > ls -la
    >
    > in bash shell then approx 500 files are displayed very fast. When I try to
    > scroll back in the terminal window only the last approx 100 are available.
    >
    > How can I increase the number of stored bash history lines?

    That is a function of the terminal program (e.g., xterm or
    rxvt). You can either set a larger number in Xresources or use a
    command line option (man xterm):

    -sl number
    This option specifies the number of lines to save that have
    been scrolled off the top of the screen. This corresponds to
    the saveLines resource. The default is 64.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author
    ===== My code in this post, if any, assumes the POSIX locale

  3. Re: How to increase number of bash history lines?

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2008-06-02, Jochen Berninger wrote:
    >> When I enter
    >>
    >> ls -la
    >>
    >> in bash shell then approx 500 files are displayed very fast. When I try to
    >> scroll back in the terminal window only the last approx 100 are available.
    >>
    >> How can I increase the number of stored bash history lines?

    > That is a function of the terminal program (e.g., xterm or
    > rxvt). You can either set a larger number in Xresources or use a
    > command line option (man xterm):
    >
    > -sl number
    > This option specifies the number of lines to save that
    > have
    > been scrolled off the top of the screen. This corresponds
    > the saveLines resource. The default is 64.

    Interesting...
    I checked my setting and its set to 1500 lines - I'm using Mandriva 2008.0
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread