What means "*/5" in crontab file? - Unix

This is a discussion on What means "*/5" in crontab file? - Unix ; In the crontab I found some repetition values with a slash like */5 or */4 What does that mean e.g. in the second (=hpur) column? Every 4 hours? Or 4 times per hour? Wolfgang...

  1. What means "*/5" in crontab file?

    In the crontab I found some repetition values with a slash like

    */5

    or

    */4

    What does that mean e.g. in the second (=hpur) column?

    Every 4 hours? Or 4 times per hour?

    Wolfgang

  2. Re: What means "*/5" in crontab file?

    wmeister@hotmail.com (Wolfgang Meister) writes:
    > In the crontab I found some repetition values with a slash like
    >
    > */5
    >
    > or
    >
    > */4
    >
    > What does that mean e.g. in the second (=hpur) column?
    >
    > Every 4 hours? Or 4 times per hour?

    "man 5 crontab" explains this.

    Be aware that not all versions of crontab support this syntax.

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    Nokia

  3. Re: What means "*/5" in crontab file?

    Keith Thompson writes:

    >wmeister@hotmail.com (Wolfgang Meister) writes:
    >> In the crontab I found some repetition values with a slash like
    >>
    >> */5
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> */4
    >>
    >> What does that mean e.g. in the second (=hpur) column?

    It means every 4 hours.

    >> Every 4 hours? Or 4 times per hour?

    >"man 5 crontab" explains this.

    >Be aware that not all versions of crontab support this syntax.

    >--
    >Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    >Nokia
    >"We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this."

  4. Re: What means "*/5" in crontab file?

    In article ,
    Keith Thompson wrote:
    >wmeister@hotmail.com (Wolfgang Meister) writes:
    >> In the crontab I found some repetition values with a slash like
    >>
    >> */5
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> */4
    >>
    >> What does that mean e.g. in the second (=hpur) column?
    >>
    >> Every 4 hours? Or 4 times per hour?

    >"man 5 crontab" explains this.
    >
    >Be aware that not all versions of crontab support this syntax.

    Good point. In fact, the version of crontab that I just wrote 15
    minutes ago doesn't support this syntax (or much of any syntax, now that
    I think about it...)

  5. Re: What means "*/5" in crontab file?

    Keith Thompson writes:
    > wmeister@hotmail.com (Wolfgang Meister) writes:
    >> In the crontab I found some repetition values with a slash like
    >>
    >> */5
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> */4
    >>
    >> What does that mean e.g. in the second (=hpur) column?
    >>
    >> Every 4 hours? Or 4 times per hour?

    > "man 5 crontab" explains this.
    >
    > Be aware that not all versions of crontab support this syntax.

    In particular, I think this feature is unique to the Paul Vixie's cron
    implementation. Most Linux and *BSD systems use it, but other Unix
    systems such as Solaris typically do not.

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    Nokia

  6. Re: What means "*/5" in crontab file?

    In article ,
    Keith Thompson wrote:

    > Keith Thompson writes:
    > > wmeister@hotmail.com (Wolfgang Meister) writes:
    > >> In the crontab I found some repetition values with a slash like
    > >>
    > >> */5
    > >>
    > >> or
    > >>
    > >> */4
    > >>
    > >> What does that mean e.g. in the second (=hpur) column?
    > >>
    > >> Every 4 hours? Or 4 times per hour?

    > > "man 5 crontab" explains this.
    > >
    > > Be aware that not all versions of crontab support this syntax.

    > In particular, I think this feature is unique to the Paul Vixie's cron
    > implementation. Most Linux and *BSD systems use it, but other Unix
    > systems such as Solaris typically do not.

    Mac OS X does as well.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA