Nameserver Timeouts - Unix

This is a discussion on Nameserver Timeouts - Unix ; Hi All, Is anyone aware of a setting in AIX, Solaris or Linux that will change the timeout value for trying to resolve a nameserver using the primary name server in resolv.conf and having it fall through to the second ...

  1. Nameserver Timeouts

    Hi All,

    Is anyone aware of a setting in AIX, Solaris or Linux that will change
    the timeout value for trying to resolve a nameserver using the primary
    name server in resolv.conf and having it fall through to the second
    nameserver listed?

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Nameserver Timeouts

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 05:32:28 -0700 (PDT),
    samfitz64@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is anyone aware of a setting in AIX, Solaris or Linux that will change
    > the timeout value for trying to resolve a nameserver using the primary
    > name server in resolv.conf and having it fall through to the second
    > nameserver listed?

    On my FreeBSD system, if I look in the manpage associated to the obvious
    file, it explains what to add to that file to do what you want.

    A quick look around shows that at least one of the systems you mention
    also imports the resolver routines from ISC BIND, so if the system
    you're looking at is sufficiently recent it will have that option
    available too. Other systems will vary, in linux' case, down to
    depending on distribution as well as version.

  3. Re: Nameserver Timeouts

    On Fri, 30 May 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.admin, in article
    <0c488fee-39b0-44e0-96bb-cd848051a5ce@r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    samfitz64@gmail.com wrote:

    >Is anyone aware of a setting in AIX, Solaris or Linux that will change
    >the timeout value for trying to resolve a nameserver using the primary
    >name server in resolv.conf and having it fall through to the second
    >nameserver listed?

    Did you check the man pages for 'resolver(5)'? All three list

    options Allows certain internal resolver variables to be modified. The
    syntax is
    options option ...
    where option is one of the following:

    timeout:n
    sets the amount of time the resolver will wait for a
    response from a remote name server before retrying the
    query via a different name server. Measured in sec-
    onds, the default is RES_TIMEOUT (see ).

    but it might be more important to say what problem you are attempting to
    solve.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread