creating an Ogg Server - Unix

This is a discussion on creating an Ogg Server - Unix ; On May 22, 8:54 pm, arnuld wrote: > PROBLEM: I want to create an Ogg Server, which will open Ogg files from my > hard drives and will stream them to a command-line player like ogg123. > User will simply ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: creating an Ogg Server

  1. Re: creating an Ogg Server

    On May 22, 8:54 pm, arnuld wrote:
    > PROBLEM: I want to create an Ogg Server, which will open Ogg files from my
    > hard drives and will stream them to a command-line player like ogg123.
    > User will simply provide the file-path for the file to play.

    Stream them to a command-line player? What is that supposed to mean?
    Don't you mean that it will stream the song to listening clients?
    So from the client side one would something like:
    nc you | ogg123 -
    Or whatever command it is for ogg123 to play from stdin.

    That's relatively simple. Will you use a process per client, thread
    per client, select, epoll, inetd or?
    Inetd and forking for each client should be quite easy to write.

    > From where should I start ? All I can think of is creating a sockaddr_in
    > structure and then what next ?

    Well, do you care for IPv6 clients? Will the server run on a dual-
    stack host? You can probably write this with just nc:
    nc -l -c "cat foo.ogg" -p portnum
    Or cat and inetd.

    If you want to do this as a networking exercise but you don't know how
    to, I suggest you take a look at tcp(7), udp(7), ip(7) and perhaps if
    these don't help much, a networking book such as unp: www.kohala.com/start/unpv12e.html>

  2. creating an Ogg Server

    PROBLEM: I want to create an Ogg Server, which will open Ogg files from my
    hard drives and will stream them to a command-line player like ogg123.
    User will simply provide the file-path for the file to play.


    From where should I start ? All I can think of is creating a sockaddr_in
    structure and then what next ?



    --
    http://lispmachine.wordpress.com/
    my email ID is @ the above blog.
    just check the "About Myself" page


  3. Re: creating an Ogg Server

    arnuld wrote:
    > PROBLEM: I want to create an Ogg Server, which will open Ogg files from my
    > hard drives and will stream them to a command-line player like ogg123.
    > User will simply provide the file-path for the file to play.
    >
    >
    > From where should I start ? All I can think of is creating a sockaddr_in
    > structure and then what next ?


    Are you going to use an unmodified command-line player that already exists?
    If so, start by identifying what network protocols it supports. Then
    implement one of those.

    It's quite possible that the player can stream using the HTTP protocol
    to communicate with the server. If that is the case, then you might be
    able to just use Apache or some other web server. At least, that might
    be the fastest way to implement it.

    - Logan

  4. Re: creating an Ogg Server

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 23:21:59 -0500, Logan Shaw wrote:



    > Are you going to use an unmodified command-line player that already exists?


    yep



    > If so, start by identifying what network protocols it supports. Then
    > implement one of those.


    Ah. never knew this one.


    > It's quite possible that the player can stream using the HTTP protocol
    > to communicate with the server. If that is the case, then you might be
    > able to just use Apache or some other web server. At least, that might
    > be the fastest way to implement it.



    I was thinking of using command-line player only, no X. But now I think
    using the player like VLC/mplayer is a good idea.

    Some time ago, I opened a web-site and it asks me to "Click Here" to
    listen to songs and then I right-click that link and open that link in
    VLC player and then VLC player plays the song on my machine. That felt
    totally great . I like this idea. Is that what you mean ?



    --
    http://lispmachine.wordpress.com/
    my email ID is @ the above blog.just check the "About Myself" page
    --------------------
    Due to excessive spamming Google Groups is blocked. So if you have posted
    using Google Groups, it means I am not able to read your message, please
    use some decent newsreader to post your message.




  5. Re: creating an Ogg Server

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 22:54:18 +0500 arnuld wrote:

    | PROBLEM: I want to create an Ogg Server, which will open Ogg files from my
    | hard drives and will stream them to a command-line player like ogg123.
    | User will simply provide the file-path for the file to play.
    |
    |
    | From where should I start ? All I can think of is creating a sockaddr_in
    | structure and then what next ?

    What transfer protocol are you planning to use? Maybe HTTP will suffice.
    If so, most web server programs should do fine. If this is a project with
    the intent to code whatever server this is to be (e.g. a class assignment)
    then code up a primitive HTTP server. If you are allowed to ask people to
    give advice, maybe you are also allow to peek at open source code (there's
    a whole lot of that around).

    --
    |WARNING: Due to extreme spam, googlegroups.com is blocked. Due to ignorance |
    | by the abuse department, bellsouth.net is blocked. If you post to |
    | Usenet from these places, find another Usenet provider ASAP. |
    | Phil Howard KA9WGN (email for humans: first name in lower case at ipal.net) |

  6. Re: creating an Ogg Server

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 02:45:12 +0500 arnuld wrote:

    | I was thinking of using command-line player only, no X. But now I think
    | using the player like VLC/mplayer is a good idea.
    |
    | Some time ago, I opened a web-site and it asks me to "Click Here" to
    | listen to songs and then I right-click that link and open that link in
    | VLC player and then VLC player plays the song on my machine. That felt
    | totally great . I like this idea. Is that what you mean ?

    If you need to be compatible with other streaming servers/players, you need
    to find out their protocol(s). Otherwise, you can design your own just for
    your own needs (or just use a subset of HTTP with minimal header support).

    --
    |WARNING: Due to extreme spam, googlegroups.com is blocked. Due to ignorance |
    | by the abuse department, bellsouth.net is blocked. If you post to |
    | Usenet from these places, find another Usenet provider ASAP. |
    | Phil Howard KA9WGN (email for humans: first name in lower case at ipal.net) |

  7. Re: creating an Ogg Server

    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 23:37:35 +0000, phil-news-nospam wrote:


    > If you need to be compatible with other streaming servers/players, you need
    > to find out their protocol(s). Otherwise, you can design your own just for
    > your own needs (or just use a subset of HTTP with minimal header support).


    I am actually learning TCP/IP so I thought this will be a good problem to
    work on and yes, I just want to design for my own needs, UNIX based
    simple and direct Ogg server.


    --
    http://lispmachine.wordpress.com/
    my email ID is @ the above blog.


  8. Re: creating an Ogg Server

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 09:37:33 +0500 arnuld wrote:
    |> On Sat, 24 May 2008 23:37:35 +0000, phil-news-nospam wrote:
    |
    |
    |> If you need to be compatible with other streaming servers/players, you need
    |> to find out their protocol(s). Otherwise, you can design your own just for
    |> your own needs (or just use a subset of HTTP with minimal header support).
    |
    | I am actually learning TCP/IP so I thought this will be a good problem to
    | work on and yes, I just want to design for my own needs, UNIX based
    | simple and direct Ogg server.

    Then your problem resolves down to two things: how to code a network server
    and how to code delivery of what you want to serve. Look up other server code
    for the former.

    --
    |WARNING: Due to extreme spam, googlegroups.com is blocked. Due to ignorance |
    | by the abuse department, bellsouth.net is blocked. If you post to |
    | Usenet from these places, find another Usenet provider ASAP. |
    | Phil Howard KA9WGN (email for humans: first name in lower case at ipal.net) |

+ Reply to Thread