Regarding Network Programming - Unix

This is a discussion on Regarding Network Programming - Unix ; Hello All, I am a newbie to Network Programming. Where do I need to start to learn all about Networking and Network Programming. Please let me know the list of books in order in which I should read. Thanks Vinay ...

  1. Regarding Network Programming

    Hello All,

    I am a newbie to Network Programming. Where do I need to start to
    learn all about Networking and Network Programming. Please let me know
    the list of books in order in which I should read.

    Thanks
    Vinay maddi

  2. Re: Regarding Network Programming

    Hi,

    For starting, I highly recommend: Effective TCP/IP Programming: 44
    Tips to Improve Your Network Programs

    The book gives you a well done overview on the topic. It is not
    overwhelming with its 300 pages but will give you some insights on the
    TCP/IP intricacies and some good advices for starting.

    Then you have Unix Network Programming Volume 1 from Richard Stevens
    that I consider as the network programming bible but I would not
    recommend it for a newbie. It goes very deep in the details. I have
    been reading this book on and off for months and I have still not went
    through it. If you have a lot of time, it is the best book.

    Anyway, I am reviewing TCP/IP books that I have read on my blog, you
    can take a look if you want at:

    http://blog.olivierlanglois.net/index.php?cat=31

    Greetings,
    Olivier Langlois
    http://www.olivierlanglois.net
    http://blog.olivierlanglois.net

  3. Re: Regarding Network Programming

    samurai wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am a newbie to Network Programming. Where do I need to start to
    > learn all about Networking and Network Programming. Please let me know
    > the list of books in order in which I should read.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Vinay maddi

    Hi! I am new to this topic (and to this newsgroup also) too. I suggest
    you read
    http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/ht...age/index.html
    for starters. This helped me a lot so far.

    For general networking I suggest:
    http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educa...USS_01DBC.html
    It might be a lot to read but you can also use it for reference.

    Enjoy

+ Reply to Thread