How to exclude MULTIPLE directories in a rsync command ? - Unix

This is a discussion on How to exclude MULTIPLE directories in a rsync command ? - Unix ; As I learned from the man page of rsync I can exclude a certain directory (trees) by using the --exclude option like in rsync .... --exclude=/proc .... But how do I exclude multiple directory (trees) at once in such a ...

  1. How to exclude MULTIPLE directories in a rsync command ?

    As I learned from the man page of rsync I can exclude a certain directory (trees)
    by using the --exclude option like in

    rsync .... --exclude=/proc ....

    But how do I exclude multiple directory (trees) at once in such a rsync command?
    The following does not work:

    rsync .... --exclude=/proc||/var||/dummy ....

    Same with "&&" instead of "||"

    Matthew

  2. Re: How to exclude MULTIPLE directories in a rsync command ?

    In comp.os.linux.misc Matthew Lincoln wrote:
    > As I learned from the man page of rsync I can exclude a certain
    > directory (trees) by using the --exclude option like in
    > rsync .... --exclude=/proc ....

    > But how do I exclude multiple directory (trees) at once in such a
    > rsync command?

    You get good marks for reading the man page. (You'd be amazed how many
    people don't even bother to try...) I think the bit you missed is this:

    Note also that the --filter, --include, and --exclude options take one
    rule/pattern each. To add multiple ones, you can repeat the options
    on the command-line [...]

    Personally, I don't find the interaction between the --include/--exclude
    directives particularly intuitive. If it's simply a case of "exclude
    this and that", then you should be fine. However, as soon as I wanted to
    "include this but exclude that", I ended up taking some of the working
    examples (from the man page) and tweaking them until I got something
    that worked.

    Chris

  3. Re: How to exclude MULTIPLE directories in a rsync command ?

    On 7 May, 09:42, Chris Davies wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.misc Matthew Lincoln wrote:
    >
    > > As I learned from the man page of rsync I can exclude a certain
    > > directory (trees) by using the --exclude option like in
    > > rsync .... --exclude=/proc ....
    > > But how do I exclude multiple directory (trees) at once in such a
    > > rsync command?

    > You get good marks for reading the man page. (You'd be amazed how many
    > people don't even bother to try...) I think the bit you missed is this:
    >
    > * * Note also that the --filter, --include, and --exclude options takeone
    > * * rule/pattern each. To add multiple ones, you can repeat the options
    > * * on the command-line [...]
    >
    > Personally, I don't find the interaction between the --include/--exclude
    > directives particularly intuitive. If it's simply a case of "exclude
    > this and that", then you should be fine. However, as soon as I wanted to
    > "include this but exclude that", I ended up taking some of the working
    > examples (from the man page) and tweaking them until I got something
    > that worked.
    >
    > Chris

    Yeah, to get those to work in a sophisticated fashion, it's best to
    write a configuration file which you edit for reference, rather than
    the comand line.

+ Reply to Thread