MinGW / Cygwin: Where to put DLLs, and why? - Unix

This is a discussion on MinGW / Cygwin: Where to put DLLs, and why? - Unix ; Hi everyone, I am aware that this is not really a Unix question, since DLLs aren't really a Unix file type I think you'd be best fit for answering it anyways: When I was last compiling a set of libraries ...

  1. MinGW / Cygwin: Where to put DLLs, and why?

    Hi everyone,

    I am aware that this is not really a Unix question, since DLLs aren't
    really a Unix file type I think you'd be best fit for answering it
    anyways:

    When I was last compiling a set of libraries under cygwin (xercesc), I
    put the dlls in the /bin folder. For they are, technically, binaries, in
    a way that they are OS-specific, contrary to the stuff I'd usually put
    in the /lib folder. And the path to the bin folder is set, so for
    programming on that machine, I do not need to set an extra path to the
    /lib folder just to execute the compiled programs.

    Setting a path to a library folder would seem strange to me anyways.

    However, now I compiled wxWidgets under MinGW and make install put the
    library files into $(PREFIX)/lib - including the dlls. So that made me
    wonder. They are technically libraries, just OS-specific binary ones. So
    where would you keep your DLL files (given that you use MinGW or
    Cygwin)? And why?

    /usr/local isn't available on MinGW btw, so I'd like to just just /bin,
    /lib and /include

    Any advice appreciated!

    Lars

  2. Re: MinGW / Cygwin: Where to put DLLs, and why?

    For the record, since no one replied, I decided myself:

    I am using the /bin folder for dll-files, since - contrary to the static
    and dynamic linux-type library files - they are not needed at compile &
    link time for a program, but are needed at runtime, and I didn't want to
    add /mingw/lib to the windows PATH variable since I already had
    /mingw/bin in there.

    Best Regards,

    Lars

  3. Re: MinGW / Cygwin: Where to put DLLs, and why?

    Lars Uffmann wrote:
    > For the record, since no one replied, I decided myself:
    >
    > I am using the /bin folder for dll-files, since - contrary to the static
    > and dynamic linux-type library files - they are not needed at compile &
    > link time for a program, but are needed at runtime, and I didn't want to
    > add /mingw/lib to the windows PATH variable since I already had
    > /mingw/bin in there.

    I put DLLs in the lib directory in order not to clutter bin. But
    functionally, it doesn't matter where you put them; you could even put
    them in WINDOWS\system32 (yuck!) So it's just a matter of preference,
    really.

+ Reply to Thread