Is there a way to simulate/preview (but not really do) rsync ? - Unix

This is a discussion on Is there a way to simulate/preview (but not really do) rsync ? - Unix ; As a first step in developing a rsync procedure I would like just to simulate the coded rsync command. In other words I want to preview the transferred files at first. How can I do such a simulated run? Matthew...

  1. Is there a way to simulate/preview (but not really do) rsync ?

    As a first step in developing a rsync procedure I would like just to simulate the
    coded rsync command. In other words I want to preview the transferred files at first.

    How can I do such a simulated run?

    Matthew

  2. Re: Is there a way to simulate/preview (but not really do) rsync ?

    At 05 May 2008 06:33:33 GMT kmlincoln100@hotmail.com (Matthew Lincoln) wrote:

    > As a first step in developing a rsync procedure I would like just to simulate the
    > coded rsync command. In other words I want to preview the transferred files at first.
    >
    > How can I do such a simulated run?

    From 'man rsync':

    -n, --dry-run
    This makes rsync perform a trial run that doesn't make any
    changes (and produces mostly the same output as a real run).
    It is most commonly used in combination with the -v, --verbose
    and/or -i, --itemize-changes options to see what an rsync com-
    mand is going to do before one actually runs it.

    The output of --itemize-changes is supposed to be exactly the
    same on a dry run and a subsequent real run (barring inten-
    tional trickery and system call failures); if it isn't, that's
    a bug. Other output is the same to the extent practical, but
    may differ in some areas. Notably, a dry run does not send the
    actual data for file transfers, so --progress has no effect,
    the 'bytes sent', 'bytes received', 'literal data', and
    'matched data' statistics are too small, and the 'speedup'
    value is equivalent to a run where no file transfers are
    needed.

    > Matthew

    heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

+ Reply to Thread